It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:26 pm

Mythbusted: 1 Skilled Hero versus Multiple Attackers 

Post Mythbusted: 1 Skilled Hero versus Multiple Attackers
For years we've heard cynics say that the cinematic beatdown of massive groups of bad guys by one lone hero in martial art and action movies is the stuff of myth and would never happen in real life.

Well, in January a retired Gorkha came to the aid of a young girl about to be raped during a train robbery. With his trusty khukhri he kicked the shit out of 40 robbers for 20 minutes, killing 3 and wounding 8.

See kids? Batman is real and he lives in INDIA. :o

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index ... s_id=27100

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:10 am

Post Re: Mythbusted: 1 Skilled Hero versus Multiple Attackers
DUDE
I would love to believe it.
but I need some independent sources.
it seems like a supposedly huge story in India, but google search returns zero results from any major publication.
I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:05 am

Hmmm, I turned up a bunch of youtube news clip videos and about 4 newspaper publications with a basic search of the guy's name.

http://www.nepalnews.com/archive/2011/j ... news07.php

http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/fullNe ... sID=272686

http://www.hamrosite.com/editorial/lone ... u-shrestha

https://ramkshrestha.wordpress.com/tag/ ... -shrestha/

HOWEVER, this news story tells a quite different story than the Nepal-based ones. So sad. It was a good story.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100904/j ... 895050.jsp

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:37 am
Site Admin

Sounds like a huge bowl of shit to me. Your last link is more sensible:

Quote:
“Six robbers have been arrested and Rs 10,470 in cash, 33 mobile phones, 14 wrist watches and an ATM card were seized from them. We have also seized two pistols, live cartridges and daggers from the robbers, who are residents of Shimultala in Jharkhand,” said R.S.P. Singh, senior security commandant of Asansol RPF.

Bishnu Shrestha, the injured Gorkha Regiment jawan, said he was travelling in one of the AC coaches when some of the robbers barged into the compartment.

“I attacked the robbers with my khukhuri. As I tried to stop one of them from snatching the earrings of a woman, he hit me on my left arm with his dagger,” said Shrestha, who was going to Gorakhpur.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:50 pm
Profile WWW

Yep, as soon as I read the last link I was of the opinion the previous stories were bullshit. So sad. I was fish-hooked into a fun story, but it wasn't true. Oh well.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:19 pm

I just think for all of us practitioners of martial arts (well I barely am) and keen readers of the internet, there is no way that could've gotten past us the first time around. I also remember going to a Korean restaurant a month ago and the entire station was just dedicated to the Korean commandos bravely taking over the ship, killing the Somali pirates, and getting all the hostages back - and these are professional soldiers with the strategic upperhands who got extremely lucky, and it was still an amazing story - which, rightly so, traveled to our hemisphere, though it made a much smaller dent here.

so there's no fucking way that a real life bruce lee story would get no play and no love aside from IDENTICAL texts circulating internet forums and translated aggregated services.

so that was how my dream was crushed.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 pm

Well, I'm a romantic, and I'm a huge sucker for stories where good guys do great things. The site seemed respectable enough, and I was forwarded to it by a decent source, but oh well. I was fooled and I admit it. It's happened to me before (hello Cracked.com) and it will likely happen again. I'm just not as savvy about this here internet thing.

And I was being hyperbolic regarding the topic. While I'm not a super elite ninja who knows everything about hand to hand combat like some of the guys on the board, even if the story was true it wouldn't prove to me that one person who was well-trained or phenomenally talented at fighting couldn't be easily overwhelmed or defeated by superior numbers. But it not being real doesn't convince me that one talented fighter can't beat superior numbers either. I've been in enough and seen enough fights to know that these kind of arguments tend to dismiss too many x-factors in any given situation and are generally armchair commentary. Fighting is fun to discuss, but theories are ultimately irrelevant. To quote the immortal Mike Tyson: "Everybody's got a plan, till they get punched in the mouth."

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:48 am

I'm sure it has happened before, but it's a lore that's so embedded in every culture, that I'm almost sure the real thing wouldn't sound anything like the movies.
it's like when sci fi movies were trying to predict 2000 and how everyone of them is wrong, no matter how many brilliant minds have taken stabs at it. or how we imagine aliens - from the extremely attractive to the extremely ugly - yet I'm pretty sure if we ever see one of those, it'll resemble nothing as we've ever tried to imagine.
an actual fight where one guy is outnumbered - not just by three or four - but against like, movie script or mythical odds - will circumvent our imagination the same way, I'm certain of it. so, too many parts of the story flattered my imagination too perfectly. that was my first red flag. real world can't corroborate with my imagination this perfectly. if people in real life still fail to converse like people in movies and novels - AND that's the easy stuff that EVERYONE is an expert on - then I can't believe that a guy in a news story would battle with this much resemblance like a guy in a kungfu movie.

but I wanted to believe it so badly.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:22 am

Yeah, you make a great point. The Batman comparison in retrospect is probably the biggest red-flag for the story being completely bonkers/bullcrap.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:39 am