It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:15 pm

finding stuntman for your films 

Post finding stuntman for your films
Hello I am a filmmaker and actor/stuntman myself. I shoot mainly action films. Now here's my question. It is fairly easy to find actors who will work for free since this is the nature of the business. But, are there stuntmen who are willing to work for free, nothing dangerous. I just need to shoot a few fight scenes. If so is there any websites where I can find stuntmen willing to work for free. I would prefer to have stuntman who also possess the actor training since my films also happens to be dialogue heavy. Thanks in advance.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:25 am

Post Re: finding stuntman for your films
[Sorry if this drags on...]

Where are you located? That will play a big factor..

Stunt people that work for free are hard to come by, as not many stunmen/women want any of their peers to know they work for free. Free work is heavily frowned upon, and really undercuts the whole business. This is usually where independent productions go wrong. If you want good quality action in your project, a budget for stunt people is one of the most important things you need to focus on finding. I've done free gigs and I've done low paying gigs, and let me tell you.. if there is even 50-100 bucks in it for the performers at the end of the day, they will give better performances and feel a connection to your project.

Also don't advertise to people that you are trying to get stuntmen to work for free, or that you yourself will work for free, as that will reflect negatively on your career down the line.

Having said all of that, you can find people that are willing to help you out on your projects for other incentives. Some performers need reel footage, and if you can provide good quality content, you will draw people to your production. There are 3 main things stunt people will work for.. Money, Footage, Networking. If you can provide two of the three, you will find your people.

What kind of budget are you working with? Is this something with no budget at all? Or are you able to raise a small budget? Will you have copy/credit/meals? If you raise a bit of money, are you willing to pay the stunt performers before actors, since they're doing dangerous work?

A place where you can usually find some "stunt people" is the craigslist talent gig section. Make sure you screen everyone and make sure they know what they're doing. You don't want something to go wrong on set and then get sued because you didn't have a budget or insurance.

Another place is martial arts gyms around your area..

And another is word of mouth.. but like I said, don't let the wrong people know you're looking for free help unless you're someone big already or you can offer really really crazy good footage.

TL;DR
-FIND some sort of budget
-Look on Craigslist, word of mouth, Dojos
-Keep the "free" out of your reputation.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:51 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: finding stuntman for your films
Thanks for the reply. I am currently located in New York City. A professor of mine said there are actually a lot of stuntman looking to work for free if you post an ad on backstage.com Do you know anything about that by any chance. Also, I have zero budget since I am a student and unemployed. Footage I am definitely willing to provide. I understand everyone needs a reel. By the way how will it impact my career negatively, if people know I am trying to get stuntmen to work for free or if I work for free.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:25 pm