It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:01 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2005 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81
 Recently Watched Movie Thread 

Post Re: Recently Watched Movie Thread
Firestorm (2013)

This was highly entertaining and well-made. Not great but very good. Like watching M. Mann's Heat and J. To's Breaking News get thrown in the mix. I liked the chemistry between Andy Lau and Gordon Lam as well as the screen presence of both Hu Jun and Philip Keung. I would say they all carried the whole movie together from an emotional standpoint. The first two acts maintained its' great intensity with both character development as well as confrontations and attempted arrests/escapes, but then took a nosedive and lost a bit of steam in the last act. The climax was terribly culminated, like they wanted to resolute in a way the average viewer wouldn't expect, after so much death and destruction done by the criminals. The idea would've been good if it wasn't so contrived and melodramatic.

The action was fire (staged by Chin Kar-Lok) though. Apart from J. To, I think few in HK have been able to do gunfights so exceptionally well in the last 10 years. It's well spread out starting good and ending great. My only gripe is the CGI used for explosions, smoke/dust, and overall objects being destroyed. We see too much of that in HK/China movies these days and it takes away the quality quite a bit. Even live muzzle flashes and bullets are replaced. But to their credit, they actually made it cool with all those bullets passing by "visibly" while the cops and criminals shoot at each other on the streets. Nice touch.

Overall, this movie shows that Hong Kong can still make good action movies although I wouldn't label it being a true classic in the genre. I would've liked less CGI and more live destructions and explosions during the action scenes but given the current economical situation as well as precautions these days, I can see why film-makers opt with CGI instead. But nevertheless, this will be a treat for those longing to see good HK action crimers.

Rating: 7.3/10

Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:44 am

Fast Fingers (1983)

Kind of funny Shaw Brothers film about a trio of pickpockets and a police inspector. The fight scenes are varied in quality, but the final showdown has some great moments of fighting and stunts.

3/5

Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:15 pm
Profile WWW

Beyond Hypothermia (1996)

One of the best hitman films I've seen. Very good cinematography and the action scenes are cool. It kind of feels like a Japanese film, but from HK. One thing that drags it down a bit though is a couple of overdramatic scenes. Well worth a watch if you like Besson's "Nikita".

3/5

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:47 pm
Profile WWW

This one is one of my favorite HK movie actually ! :D

http://jetteamproduction.blogspot.com/

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Black Coal, Thin Ice (2014)

I was really surprised when they were showing a Chinese film at the cinema, and it actually sounded pretty good, so I had to go see it. It was better than expected.

It's a thriller about an alcoholic policeman who's investigating a case where bodyparts are appearing in several coal plants across a large region. The police finally finds a main suspect, and it's up to proving if the suspect's guilty or not.

I was surprised with how good the film was shot, it was like a mix of "I Saw the Devil" and a Kitano. The story was exciting and there were definitely some unexpected events, some really funny.

3/5

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2005 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81