It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2005 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 81  Next
 Recently Watched Movie Thread 
Site Admin

Post Recently Watched Movie Thread
Bruno
Not bad. Hilarious throughout but it didn't have half the drive that Borat had. And if you are repulsed by gay men then just don't watch it.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:45 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Recently Watched Movie Thread
Public Enemies
Pretty decent movie when it came to story, acting and even set. The editing was awful. I almost couldn't watch it. I still actually wonder if the projector was just screwing up at that theater. I'll have to see what others say about it.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:53 am

Ong Bak 2
I've been away from the boards for quite a while, so I didn't get to see what the opinion was around here...but I enjoyed it. I started off trying to be critical about it, but I gave up and just enjoyed the ride. Going to have to watch it again soon. Only thing that really let me down was the fight versus Dan Chupong - of course, I have no idea how many times he was fighting underneath various masks/hoods/baskets/buckets/sinks, so he could have been in it more than I knew.

And regarding Public Enemies...
I agree with you - decent on most levels, but technically a mess. As a sound guy, I have to say that might have been one of the worst tracks I've ever heard (not counting the big gunfight at the retreat, which had some of the best gun sounds in a while). So bad that it made me wonder if they were doing it on purpose.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:53 am

Public Enemies Yeah! I was wondering at some point if it was on purpose as well. God I hope not.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:41 am

Was about to bring this thread back, glad someone else did. :D

A Dirty Carnival (2006)

Very nice and creative crime film. Loved the fact that it wasn't just about a guy who did what he did for his boss but also that it was shown that he did other things for others (the director, the female librarian, his family) outside the job which in turn reflected other sides of him. Great performances, production values (as other Korean flicks I've seen so far) and beautifully orchestrated music (sounded a bit offbeat yet fitted perfectly) makes this a winner to me.

4/5

Last edited by DiP on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:24 am

SUICIDE CLUB
Japanese bloody and very disturbing film... Don't know what to think about it, just watch it and make your own opinion!
?/5

http://jetteamproduction.blogspot.com/

Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:26 am
Public Enemies
Definitely a step up from the somewhat underwhelming Miami Vice (which I love for the cinematography). I'd put it in the mid range of Michael Mann's films.

I'm not sure what was with the sound mixing. Knowing how meticulous Mann is, there had to be something going on in his head when he allowed the sound mix to go out the way it was. It's completely possible that he wanted it a bit rough in a sort of French new wave sort of way. It definitely goes with the cinematography if you think about it, which wasn't afraid of pushing gain, shooting with available lighting, allowing highlights to blow out. I'm pretty sure it must of been hell for the sound guys, but Mann is a director who gets what he wants. What I learned from my sound teacher is that directors work at the expense of the sound team, basically forcing them to try to fix it in post.

Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen
Had a plot about as good as a half-baked D&D adventure. The robots also basically just became secondary, not genuinely well written characters. The first 15 minutes of Up had more 10 times more emotion than this film and the first film combined. I don't think Optimus' "death" even registered, whereas it was actually dramatic in Transformers: The Movie. It's pretty sad, when the cartoons do the same things better (X-Men the Animated Series vs. the films and Spider-Man the Animated Series Alien Costume saga vs. Spider-Man 3).

Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:50 am

Oops, I accidentally posted my last post as a guest. Feel free to edit this post and delete the original.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:55 am
Profile WWW

Dead Snow - . norwegian zombie with a twist, nazi zombies, loved it, started of a bit slow but built up half way through, i normally have an issue with fast moving zombies but as this movie was set in the snow i dont mind them being more agile, and some dark humour was in this movie a well, which helped, worth a watch

Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:34 am

Lol, I love Dead Snow! That final zombie wave with the music is awesome!

Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:31 pm
PUSH
overall a pretty entertaining movie with an appealing cast. though it's nothing we haven't seen before in super hero movies it was still an entertaining ride. the standouts in this movie were dakota fanning and djimon hansou though chris evans and the rest of the cast weren't too shabby either. and the bleeders were fucking creepy.

12 ROUNDS
i rented this as part of a bad movie night and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. it's essentially SPEED 3 with keanu being replaced by john cena. let's get this out of the way: cena is a TERRIBLE actor when he's in normal guy mode but the second the action picks up he becomes more bearable. overall the movie is an entertaining little action extravaganza with little thought put into the logic behind everyone's actions. watch if you wanna see a throwback to the ridiculousness of mid-90s action flicks.

STREETFIGHTER: THE LEGEND OF CHUN LI
oh boy...where do i start??? this movie made jean claude's street fighter look good. the dialogue was incredibly stilted, the fights were edited to hell, the characters were ridiculous and chris klein is in turbo-douche mode throughout the film. i will give kristen kreuk some props though. i watched the behind the scenes of the fights and she was doing really good and showed some serious intensity before they butchered the footage during editing. i really would like to see her get another chance at action because she definately has the heart for it....and did i mention she's gorgeous :D

Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:11 pm

Paul Blart: Mall Cop -

This was pretty silly, but I was expecting it to be silly so I wasn't shocked or anything (plus, I don't think Kevin James has ever been in a movie that wasn't silly). Most of the cast is completely throwaway except for James himself, who I find really likeable for some reason, his love interest, who was pretty cute, and the guy that played the douchebag pen salesman was good. The hostage takers were exteme sports rejects and there are a couple instances of parkour and some cool skateboarding if you're into that, but mostly there was very little action in the movie, although there were some great cheesy one liners (the obvious best being Blart taking out one baddy with an oxygen tank after menacingly growling "Scuba Dooby Doo"). It was like Die Soft.

6.5/10

Friday The 13th (2009) -

As a huge fan of the original series and horror in general, I was really looking forward to seeing this but never got the chance to catch it in theaters. It was sort of hot and cold. The kills were fun (although at times somewhat anticlimactic... a screwdriver through the throat is cool, but not very flashy. C'mon, Jason!), and they did a good job getting an 80's feel from the young cast, instead of the MTV Spring Break douchebags we usually get, but the motivation just wasn't there. The original movie did well building up the hype of Jason's return and the murders at Crystal Lake--the initial sequence, the story from Pamela Voorhees, the crazy old man warning the kids to turn back, the legends surrounding the camp, etc. This one was just kind of like the kids walk in, Jason pops out immediately and starts hacking. No stalking POV shots, no "ch ch ch, heh heh heh," just sudden slaughter and some titties. When I thought about it after it was over, I realized that they really didn't even go over Jason's backstory at all aside from one sentence at the beginning of the film. So what it ended up looking like was a masked redneck psycho killing co-eds to protect his cannabis stash.

Still, 7.5/10, especially for a remake.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:21 pm

Attack the Gas Station! (1999)

One of those nonsense dark comedies where stuff pop up from nowhere and have your laughs on for either most or little of the time. For me, it was somewhere between those two as I found some stuff actually selling while others left little impression on me due to the fact that it seemed like the makers tried too hard. Altogether, this was very entertaining movie and there weren't times when things got boring and made me lose interest.

3.5/5

Last edited by DiP on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:37 pm

I love Attack The Gas Station!, it's one of my favorite Korean flicks. I actually enjoy it more as a coming-of-age type of drama more than a comedy, almost like a "rebel against the system" concept like The Wild One or Thelma And Louise or something. Even though they're trashing things, holding people hostage, and causing general mayhem, the main characters' backstories make you really feel for them, and you start to despise the same type of people and behavior that they despise. I think that a lot of foreign audiences don't find it that comically amusing because a lot of the humor is definitively Korean and gets lost in translation a bit. It still manages to entertain me every time.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:25 am

Sorry for the double post, but I just got back from a midnight screening of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, and I thought I'd post a short review. I don't know if any of you guys are into the series, but my girlfriend is eaten up with it, and she made me (er... I elected to) watch the first five films in preparation for tonight, and I think with the exception of one or two, they get progressively better in succession. HBP is my favorite of the series so far; I haven't read the books, so I can't compare the details with those of the film, but I will say that I really love the cast of these movies and feel that everyone plays their parts to the best of their abilities. It's refreshing to see that kind of enthusiasm anymore. By that token, the acting is extremely solid all around, even from the younger kids and newer characters. Shit really starts hitting the fan in this one, and it's tense and exciting to get sucked into these kids' adventures as they get more and more serious. Lots of really good visual effects, and the whole film really retains a great sense of urgency and the death of a major character only adds to the "what's going to happen next" appeal. I'll definitely watch the last two movies.

8.5/10

Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:52 am

K- 20 Legend Of The Mask- Ok movie

Was expecting more of this movie but overall just a ok movie this one. The story is ok and the acting is also ok. The movie does have nice cinematography but the movie needed more action, it got a bit boring at times. Action consisted of a lot of Parkour based action but no real fights or so something the movie needed.

Overall ok, but nothing special.

Chameleon-Boring!

New Japanese action movie, nothing good to say about this one. Movie was boring and the action was also boring.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:52 am

The Chaser (2008)

Intense, horrific and emotional are just few words to describe this greatness of a crime thriller, probably one of few recent pieces of this type that reached me this deep. Everything production-wise was done very well; from direction, cinematography/lighting, music to script and acting. The lead was strong, charismatic (and being quite funny too with all the complaints and going about with that sadistic grumbling attitude :lol: ) and the others did equally great jobs as well. 100% well done!

5/5

Last edited by DiP on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

The Chaser is my favourite Korean movie and one of the best movies to come from any country in years!!!

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Mos def is. Come to think of it, this resembles The Beast Stalker a bit but is far superior.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:43 pm

They both are dark movies ( especially the Chaser) in story line but it's not really fair to compare these 2 movies with each other because they aren't really the same Beast Stalker more a action movie while the Chaser is more of a thriller.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:50 pm

Maybe but as far as impact goes, The Chaser connected better for me.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:55 pm

The chaser is on my priority list for a few weeks now, can't wait to see it!

Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:07 am

Be in for a treat!

Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:08 am

City of the Living Dead (1980)

Pretty exciting movie, but a little stiff. Nice gore effects and good music.

3/5

Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:45 pm
Profile WWW

I watched Kung Pow again the other day with a friend. Some hilarious stuff despite being too silly at times.

3/5 - most old school Kung Fu film fans should enjoy this one!

YouTube Page

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2005 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 81  Next