It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:35 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2005 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next
 Recently Watched Movie Thread 

Post Re: Recently Watched Movie Thread
Pinnochio (1940)

Call me ignorant but I had never seen this movie. I was most pleasantly surprised when I saw it last week. I didn't expect such a tough movie (for a kids flick I mean):people get smacked, pinocchio drinks beer and smokes cigars, gets put in a cage and transforms into a donkey (which can be quite intense for small children). You would not see these kinds of things in modern Disney movies. The morale of the story and animation is top notch too!

I loved it! :) Not afraid to say it!

Rating: 8.5/10

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:44 pm

My Father is a Hero (1995) - Some silly and flawed stuff going on (pacing, Yu Rong Guang's acting, cheap-looking props) but other than those, this is exceptionally touching for a Jet Li movie. The chemistry between Jet, the kid, and Anita Mui is the sole drive of everything and makes everything more than a simple undercover cop story. The action is very good also but why Corey Yuen decided to use wirework faults the entirety of the fight choreography. Luckily, it's not too much. Rating: 7.5/10

The Hitman (1998) - Yet another Jet Li movie that gets no mention. There's not a whole lot of action (brilliantly staged by Tung Wai and a bunch of veteran ACs) here but the story is creative (pro assassins hired to avenge a Yakuza boss based on a "revenge" fund worth millions of HK$) and as a whole really entertaining. Jet, Eric Tsang, Simon Yam and Gigi Leung make a great team and so does the supporting cast. Rating: 8/10

Romeo Must Die (2000) - Started the hip hop kung fu sub-genre - thankfully only spawning few couple other movies before dying down for good. The story is decently scripted but could've been a legitimately good had they removed all rubbish (like Anthony Anderson) and made the picture darker and more violent. Jet Li does well enough in his role and some of his moments of action satisfies, but the movie itself leaves you wishing Jet could've been doing something else than this. Rating: 5/10

Kiss of the Dragon (2001) - This getting more impressive after each new viewing. Bridget Fonda is still a nuisance at times but here is a modern action piece that absorbs Jet's persona and makes use of his action style into a gritty and violent setting, something Jet should've done more before and during his Hollywood days and still should stick to these movies now that kung fu folklores is out of his mind for good. Remove the hip hop music in the ending and keep the story less over-the-top, this woulda be a perfect vehicle and one to be taken seriously. But it still serves its' purpose and giving us what we want Jet to do. Rating: 8.5/10

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:24 am

The One (2001) - Interesting sci-fi concept but they pulled it off in a somewhat not-so-special way. Despite this, I enjoyed it alot. Jet Li dual role as protagonist and antagonist was handled good and the editing makes it believable. His action moments was also well-choreographed and all, good choreography combined with nice wirework and special effects. The movie would do fine without the heavy metal music though bit it fits during the introduction scene. Rating: 6.5/10

Cradle 2 the Grave (2003) - This actually had a good story - thieves stealing diamonds and a Taiwanese gang using it for militant weapons purposes - that sadly is ruined with TOO much fillers (Anthony Anderson, Tom Arnold) getting in the way. Jet Li doesn't do much acting-wise apart from preening in front of the camera wearing fresh-looking clothes. But his action scenes (bar the finale with Dacascos, what the hell was that?) makes up for everything else you'll have to stand watching this crap. What a waste of time. Rating: 2.5/10

Danny the Dog (2005) - Martial arts action combined with nihilism and deep acting. What a great concept and career move for Jet Li. This is the movie that I started considering Jet as a complete performer, whose acting I've been more impressed with ever since. This wouldn't have succeeded for Jet as much though without good actors providing support and challenges and having Bob Hoskins, Morgan Freeman and the lead actress onboard helped alot. Fantastic performances altogether. As for the action, it's some of the best collabos by Jet and Woo Ping. Rating: 10/10

Fearless (2006) - Another bravura by Jet Li - making a movie combining intense action scenes with strong acting - and his swan song to kung fu folklores. Acting-wise, his acting was good and convincing but it doesn't really reach new heights given the similar roles he's played before and partly integrating into his performance as well (Fong Sai Yuk and Wong Fei Hong). But what he succeeds here is giving them a new spin and the result is nothing like the past. Good supporting cast overall (Betty Sun, the actor playing HYJ's best friend etc) and Woo Ping's action is highly satisfying, although mixed with cheap-looking CGI and not quite up there with his best works. Rating: 9/10

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:17 pm

Hitchcock (2012)

Anthony Hopkins is pretty good as Hitch, and there are some pretty good jokes, but the film is pretty shallow and isn't very exciting.

2/5

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:01 pm
Profile WWW

The Innkeepers (2012)

Boring as hell. Don't bother. Nothing much happens during the movie and it's supposed to be scary... Only interesting to see how old Kelly Mcgillis got... :S

Rating: 2/10

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:43 am

Confession of Murder

Decent korean movie. The opening is tense, the opening action even if the wires are obvious I still enjoyed the mma style fight. There are some other nice action moments in here.

The Last tycoon
Boring. Movie looks good but that's all it has going for it. The story is all over the place and even confusing at times. Iooked like they couldn't decide if this was a remake of the Bund (TVB) or a movie in his own right.
They could have given Sammo at least one decent fight......

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:53 pm

Blood Letter - 0-5 - stupid flying worthless shit. If the fighters are all magic, why are they fighting? Urghhh.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:15 pm

Quote:
My Father is a Hero (1995) - Some silly and flawed stuff going on (pacing, Yu Rong Guang's acting, cheap-looking props) but other than those, this is exceptionally touching for a Jet Li movie. The chemistry between Jet, the kid, and Anita Mui is the sole drive of everything and makes everything more than a simple undercover cop story. The action is very good also but why Corey Yuen decided to use wirework faults the entirety of the fight choreography. Luckily, it's not too much. Rating: 7.5/10

The Hitman (1998) - Yet another Jet Li movie that gets no mention. There's not a whole lot of action (brilliantly staged by Tung Wai and a bunch of veteran ACs) here but the story is creative (pro assassins hired to avenge a Yakuza boss based on a "revenge" fund worth millions of HK$) and as a whole really entertaining. Jet, Eric Tsang, Simon Yam and Gigi Leung make a great team and so does the supporting cast. Rating: 8/10

Romeo Must Die (2000) - Started the hip hop kung fu sub-genre - thankfully only spawning few couple other movies before dying down for good. The story is decently scripted but could've been a legitimately good had they removed all rubbish (like Anthony Anderson) and made the picture darker and more violent. Jet Li does well enough in his role and some of his moments of action satisfies, but the movie itself leaves you wishing Jet could've been doing something else than this. Rating: 5/10

Kiss of the Dragon (2001) - This getting more impressive after each new viewing. Bridget Fonda is still a nuisance at times but here is a modern action piece that absorbs Jet's persona and makes use of his action style into a gritty and violent setting, something Jet should've done more before and during his Hollywood days and still should stick to these movies now that kung fu folklores is out of his mind for good. Remove the hip hop music in the ending and keep the story less over-the-top, this woulda be a perfect vehicle and one to be taken seriously. But it still serves its' purpose and giving us what we want Jet to do. Rating: 8.5/10

The One (2001) - Interesting sci-fi concept but they pulled it off in a somewhat not-so-special way. Despite this, I enjoyed it alot. Jet Li dual role as protagonist and antagonist was handled good and the editing makes it believable. His action moments was also well-choreographed and all, good choreography combined with nice wirework and special effects. The movie would do fine without the heavy metal music though bit it fits during the introduction scene. Rating: 6.5/10

Cradle 2 the Grave (2003) - This actually had a good story - thieves stealing diamonds and a Taiwanese gang using it for militant weapons purposes - that sadly is ruined with TOO much fillers (Anthony Anderson, Tom Arnold) getting in the way. Jet Li doesn't do much acting-wise apart from preening in front of the camera wearing fresh-looking clothes. But his action scenes (bar the finale with Dacascos, what the hell was that?) makes up for everything else you'll have to stand watching this crap. What a waste of time. Rating: 2.5/10

Danny the Dog (2005) - Martial arts action combined with nihilism and deep acting. What a great concept and career move for Jet Li. This is the movie that I started considering Jet as a complete performer, whose acting I've been more impressed with ever since. This wouldn't have succeeded for Jet as much though without good actors providing support and challenges and having Bob Hoskins, Morgan Freeman and the lead actress onboard helped alot. Fantastic performances altogether. As for the action, it's some of the best collabos by Jet and Woo Ping. Rating: 10/10

Fearless (2006) - Another bravura by Jet Li - making a movie combining intense action scenes with strong acting - and his swan song to kung fu folklores. Acting-wise, his acting was good and convincing but it doesn't really reach new heights given the similar roles he's played before and partly integrating into his performance as well (Fong Sai Yuk and Wong Fei Hong). But what he succeeds here is giving them a new spin and the result is nothing like the past. Good supporting cast overall (Betty Sun, the actor playing HYJ's best friend etc) and Woo Ping's action is highly satisfying, although mixed with cheap-looking CGI and not quite up there with his best works. Rating: 9/10

Really good reviews and I agree with virtually everything said here. 'Hitman' is a great Hong Kong film that does not get the recognition it deserves. It is a little light on fight action but it is certainly better than the majority of films Jet made in Hong Kong. I am not a fan of the wire-fu period films that he made with Corey Yuen in the 90's.
Also, Unleashed (aka: Danny the Dog) is a very good film. Great fight scenes, character development and storyline. This is the supreme Hollywood for Jet Li. I wish he had made more like this.

YouTube Page

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 am
Profile WWW

The Place Beyond the Pines (2012)

Feels like I just watched three different films. Liked the first one the most.

2/5

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:23 am
Profile WWW

I feel like I've watched dozens of crappy films recently. I won't bother talking about them here. Oops.

http://jetteamproduction.blogspot.com/

Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Please do! Name at least one of the crappy films! :-D

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:10 pm
Profile WWW

welcome to the punch - great uk police thriller feels like a hk movie mark strong is usually decent.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:27 pm

The Hunt (2012)

Strong drama about a guy (Mads Mikkelsen) who gets accused of child molesting, and how people turn against him without any evidence at all. Basically the danger of believing rumors and how dangerous group mentality can be.

It's brilliantly directed by Thomas Vinterberg (The Celebration), and the acting is of the highest standard. The reason I won't give it a higher grade is because I didn't like the ending.

3/5

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:37 am
Profile WWW

Black Christmas (1974) - Some dull dialogue and out-of-place characters but otherwise a pretty good horror movie and the first one in a trend that spawned movies like Halloween, Friday The 13th, A Nightmare On Elm Street etc. The greatest things about the movie are that the killer is kept a secret with technically no background or motive behind the murders, and gets mixed up with the only "likely" suspect among all cast members. Great way of mystifying the horrific moments imo. Rating: 8.5/10

Friday the 13th (1980) - Still scary and thrilling but the teen stuff is too outdated now which kinda ruins the movie tbh. Great choice of antagonist and the finale where all questions are answers make this very satisfying. Rating: 7.5/10

Friday the 13th Part II (1981) - Pretty much the same as the original but with the now famous Jason Voorhees as the antagonist out for revenge and new blood. Rating: 7/10

Friday the 13th (2009) - This could've been great but the makers simply did it wrong in some aspects. They did Jason Voorhees justice though by going back to the roots (having him run after his victims and kill realistically) instead of turning him once again into a supernatural killer he became in the sequels. Now, the wrong turns are that they emphasized on the teen stuff as much (if not more) as the violence and horror and the outcome is only half-good. Rating: 6.5/10

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) - One of the best horror movie remake so far imo. The tight momentum is maintained throughout the story and really adds up to the violence and horrific nature behind the killers and their way of living. Rating: 9/10

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006) - Predictable prequel on how Leatherface become the killer and how he was raised. This is the downside of making follow-ups to horror movies in that variety lacks. But for what it is, it still succeeds giving viewers violence and thrills. The ending was surprising though, a rule broken and one that imo was a good thing opposed to what many feels about it. Rating: 7.5/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - I didn't like the original movie tbh because I just couldn't take Freddy Kruger's personality and the overall scary factor and violence seriously. So I was very delighted to see what the makers were able to do with this remake. A subdued but far more frightening Freddy Kruger and he's actually developed here better than he ever was in the earlier movies, showing how his normal life and how he became a nightmare for chosen teens. The acting here wasn't as corny and clichéd either which for me is a big plus. Rating: 9/10

Halloween (2007) - I like how they focused on giving Michael Myers enough back story for viewers to understand the character better. And that is pretty much the strength of this remake. Otherwise, this was not really that good. The casting was weird somehow and the violence was overdone compared to the original. Rating: 6/10

The Last House on the Left (2009) - Haven't seen the original but this was an overall entertaining movie about two teens that get abused and raped by a vicious gang of fugitives. The acting was surprisingly good where you could actually sympathize with what the girls and the parents have to go through. Rating: 8/10

Independence Day (1996) - First time watching this in more than 10 years. Very entertaining with lots of action and spectacle in form of special effects, sound, sets, explosions. Good ol 90s sci-fi action classic. Rating: 8/10

Last edited by DiP on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:18 pm

In the Line of Fire (1993)

Brilliant camera work, and a great villain (played by John Malkovich) in a solid thriller starring the always charismatic Clint Eastwood.

3/5

Fri May 10, 2013 10:18 pm
Profile WWW

Watched the new Seagal flick "Deadly Crossing" last night and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I'm a fan of his older stuff like Under Siege but I haven't seen anything with him in it for a loooong time. This movie reminded me of old school action flicks - and I mean that in a good way. Bone breaking hits, funny one liners...great popcorn flick.

I could only find it at Red Box, however.

Mon May 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Scarecrow (1973)

Incredible acting by Al Pacino and Gene Hackman, and you never really know where the film is going to go. Sometimes it's comedic, and then suddenly turns pitch black. There are a lot of really good scenes, but as with many existentialist films it doesn't really follow the standard formula of storytelling, and therefore there's no real pay-off.

3/5

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:25 am
Profile WWW

Only God Forgives (2013)

Like a mix between a Kitano and a Lynch, but in a bad, boring, pretentious way. Some shots look pretty good though, and it's better than "Valhalla Rising", but still bad, and a far cry from his Danish films.

Oh, and the fight in the movie was passable, even though it was obviously sped up.

1/5

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:22 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Was it another fake action movie? From what I remember in the trailer, it seemed action packed

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:35 am
Profile WWW

Yep, there wasn't that much action in the movie. One fight scene, some digital gun shooting, and a few sword slices. None of the characters were likeable, except maybe the corrupt police chief. I would definitely not recommend paying to see it.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I'm gonna see it as part of my Action Kickback argument - "Today's action film market sucks because of the following examples" and then list all that crap

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:08 pm
Profile WWW

:-D

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:38 pm
Profile WWW

Drug War (2013)

I'm truly surprised the movie got approval from Chinese Censorship considering the graphic violence and use of drugs. This really brings out alot of questions concerning the "bright" future of Chinese Cinema and the presence of the censorship. One can only imagine how much film-makers would be able to do with such creative freedom and expression. On the other, I heard Chinese Censorship gave the movie an exception of getting passed so this may be just for occasional movies.

Anyway, the movie was incredible. It features a simple but complex story with lots of actors playing key roles you'll have to memorize to fully follow the story, strong and memorable characters (my favorite was Brother "Haha"), compelling and quite disturbing scenes involving drug use and addiction, and culminates greatly with betrayal as well as twists and LOTS of guns from every direction. Everything's put together the way it's usually done by J. To and if you're familiar with the overall structure and aesthetics of Milkyway pictures, you already know what to expect. Suspense is there, intensity's there. Music, lighting/cinematography, editing, sound effects etc. Overall, I got a great kick out of the movie for the freshness it brought. J. To puts on a great show once again.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:13 am

Drug War
Not a bad a movie if you consider it's filmed in the mainland with almost a whole mainland cast and knowing how China is with censorship it was really a raw movie. Only the ending was clearly in there for China if this was a HK movie I am sure the ending would be different.
It has some nice action moments and the story was also decent only the HK cast in the end was a bit confusing especially when they took Louis Koo away it was just to get to the end.
Couldn't they find a better name for brother HaHa?? Come on, ok I know Laughing Gor is taken and they were going for the mainland version but at least come up with a better nick name....

Switch
Crap!!! Andy Lau what were you thinking when you took this movie ( ok easy pay check) but come on what the fuck was this must be one of the worst movies in years and even the action sucks!

The Berlin File
Never been a fan of spy / secret agents type of movies so this one wasn't really for me. Boring movie also with a few good action moments.

Score
Japanese action movie mixes together Reservoir Dogs, Hard Target and a lot of John Woo inspiration nothing good really.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:40 pm

Badges of Fury
Just when I thought Switch was the worst movie to come out in years comes this one who tops it all!! This movie is so over the top it's just embarrassing. The comedy makes no sense and isn't funny at all and the story is just crap. The cast is all chinese or taiwanese while the movies takes place in HK have to be a new low point, the HK cast just has cameos. I even wonder if this was filmed in HK or just before a green screen.....
The action is a new low point for Corey Yuen when people aren't flying they are just floating in the air. It's just pathetic if you consider all the good screen fighters that appear in here. Corey do your self a favor but over all the audience and just retire and spend your time counting your money because that's all you care about this days!!

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:15 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2005 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next