Profile WWW

Post Re: Iceman
My review here:

http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-noble-review-iceman-3d.html

YouTube Page

Thu May 01, 2014 12:13 am
Profile WWW

Just got done watching it. Most reviews of this thing are right. I don't know if it was the director or the writers but this was downright terrible and made absolutely no sense. The makers took almost no time building up momentum for key scenes in the story and properly explaining the logic behind the characters' origins and motives and just jumps right away into the essential parts taken from the original film.

The result is a hugely uneven film with LOTS of nonsense humor (many "wtf moments from Wang Baoqiang, Yu Kang, and even Donnie himself), incoherent acting performances, and obvious story loops. Unlike the original, the makers also couldn't balance seriousness and comedy at all and watching it was like watching several types of films rolled into one. It got to the point were I scratched my head thinking what the hell they wanted to achieve and whether they lost it somewhere along the process of making the film. The narrative is so confusing.

That being said, I think Donnie's action is the saving grace. I especially enjoyed the nightclub fight scene and the finale on the bridge which features creative fight choreography (don't expect the usual HK style exchanges of punches, kicks, blocks< because it's mostly situational and seeks dramatic tension), wirework, decent-looking CGI, all shot and edited exceptionally well. And something that surprised me: It has the same sound design from SPL, Flash Point, and Ip Man films which gives the impact of the hits and blocks an edgier/meaty feel to it. However unfortunately, they aren't in great numbers and, beside the ones I mentioned, they aren't lengthy either so what's present aren't enough to hold the whole film.

Overall, it's yet another good example of bad remakes as well as one of Donnie's worst films in recent times -- easily making Special ID look much better in comparison -- which has now given me little hope for the sequel being good in its' entirety (I'm sure the action will be good).

Rating: 3/10

Last edited by DiP on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:41 am

I think what's happening is producers who get Donnie for however long so they just cobble together whatever and saying yes to the demands of everyone and every market (whoever can figure out Mainland audience + International audience can make and deserve a billion dollars).

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:18 pm