It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:54 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Special ID 
Site Admin

Post Re: Special ID
Totally missing any semblance of being a fighting character, like it's always about making him "the next action star", and never about him letting his hair get fucked up and going to town on someone.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 am
Profile WWW

I finally got around to seeing this movie. I thought it was a real let down. Before I get into the action, the whole mainland china influence in HK films is really evident in this one. The movie starts with titles all in simplified chinese, and I bought the HK version of the blu ray. It's the first time I've seen it. I don't wanna post any spoilers but I thought there are various parts of the plot that had a very mainland china feel to it.

Donnie Yen's character wasn't that interesting and his acting hasn't improved at all over the years. When he tried to give emotion, it comes across as cringe worthy. He's way better in roles like Ip man and OUATIC 2 where he can sit back and just kick ass. I didn't think the movie was gritty enough in general.

I thought it was a major let down when the final fight was with him and Andy On instead of Collin Chou. Andy On while very athletic and can do pretty much any move that is asked of him, is still missing something. I read earlier in the thread where he's compared to Andy Lau and Max Mok. I thought Andy Lau and Max Mok could "sell" the action better though. I can't pin point what it is that Andy On is missing, but something isn't quite there. It would have been way better to see Donnie and Collin Chou have a rematch.

Overall the movie blows and the only bright spot is the restaurant fight. Is it just or does it look like Donnie Yen look like he's lost an edge in this movie in terms of action? It seems like his punches and kicks were a tad weaker, but maybe it's editing?

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:31 am

I'd say less undercranking and emphasis on a more realistic look for the action. Yen's choreography keeps changing (for the better if you ask me) though so you won't always get the same touch whenever he comes out with new movies.

Last edited by DiP on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:41 pm

one dialogue quip between the Hong Kong cop and the Chinese cop summarized the whole film and the whole genre

Mainland Cop: "this is just a cultural difference"
Hong Kong Cop: "yep the difference between having a culture and not having a culture."

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:02 pm

pete wrote:
one dialogue quip between the Hong Kong cop and the Chinese cop summarized the whole film and the whole genre

Mainland Cop: "this is just a cultural difference"
Hong Kong Cop: "yep the difference between having a culture and not having a culture."

lol yep. Another issue I had was casting Ronald Cheng as Donnie Yen's handler. He's come a long way as an actor, but I don't find him believable as a high ranking officer. Also, didn't you guys find it weird that Donnie Yen was always chilling out with the cops? I mean he's an undercover, but he's always seen with the cops which isn't real. The whole movie was just a mess and a disappointment since it was Donnie's first modern actioner since Flash Point.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:52 pm

I blame Clarence Fok for the flaws of the movie, and the trailers for hyping it all up. A hit-and-miss director X misleading marketing = a product subjected to heavy criticism. I enjoyed the story/acting more than Flash Point though.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:03 pm

The opening fight with Ken Lo was already an indication of how disappointing this movie was going to be. This fight resume everything this movie is disappointing fighting not funny at all while clearly it's intended as an comedic fight and waste of talent… Ken Lo doesn't do anything good here just like Collin Chou later on. If the girl is the highlight in this movie together with the car chase there isn't much more to say here.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:08 pm

The restaurant fight was my favorite of the movie too. The beginning was especially nice and the one vs. many choreography was actually pretty convincing. The rest that followed, when Yen was fighting fewer guys, started to get a little stale. Still, it was probably the best fight in the movie.

The finale started off great, but once the guys started hugging and then never stopped, I lost my hard-on.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:52 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5