It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:28 am

Best of 2010-2013 

Post Best of 2010-2013
Hey everybody, so I've been REALLY behind in my movie watching since about 2010. I've seen a few greats here and there (The Raid, etc.), but I wanted to get people's recommendations for MUST WATCH films from 2010-now, Hollywood or foreign, indie or blockbuster. Thanks!

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:16 pm

Post Re: Best of 2010-2013
There hasn't really been all that much.

The SP films, obviously. Death Grip is great, and Detective Story has a sweet end fight (can't remember when that came out, though, might be earlier).

Other movies off the top of my head (I haven't checked the dates, so I may be a little off on a couple):
    Ip Man 2
    Undisputed 3
    The World's End (I think people will be surprised by the quality of the action in this)
    Sherlock Holmes (I seriously think this is one of the best Hollywood produced martial arts movies ever made. Love the exploration of story and character through the narrated fight breakdowns. Gets overplayed in the sequel, though.)
    Special ID (Divided opinions on this one)
    Wu Xia (I liked it, but again opinions are divided)
    Blood and Bone (it's OK, nothing great)
    Warrior (The fights aren't great, but it's a pretty solid MMA drama)
    Rurouni Kenshin (If you liked the Manga/Anime... I'm not sure anyone will care about this movie otherwise)
    Bangkok Knockout (Terrible movie, but some OK action)

That's all I can think of right now. There hasn't really been much good over the last couple of years, and most of the movies I can think of need qualifiers (it's OK, but...)

Edit: Oh... I just realised that you didn't necessarily specify martial arts movies. I was only listing movies based on their fights :-)

Last edited by Punch on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:00 am

Thanks, Punch! Yes, preferably martial arts or action movies, but that can be used very loosely.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:23 am

I didn't think The Raid was that good and Special ID is the biggest disappointment of the century. Drive was a great action film, but it's not a martial arts film by any means.

Independent films (by people on this forum) would be my fix for action movies from 2010 to 2013.

YouTube Page

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:00 am
Profile WWW

Ninja Masters wasn't bad Probably was more, but can't think of any at moment.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:56 pm

Quote:
I didn't think The Raid was that good and Special ID is the biggest disappointment of the century.

Couldn't agree more with you.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:29 pm

Ip Man 2
The Gallants
The Lost Bladesman
Wu Xia
Undisputed 3
The Raid
The Wrath of Vajra
Special ID (lesson no. 1: don't expect too much of the same thing)

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:55 pm

I don't really get why people didn't like The Raid. I thought it had a solid set up and frequent, quality action. The ending was a let down, but that aside I thought it was one of the best action films of the decade.

The Man from Nowhere was good. Basically a Korean version of Taken, in both style and story. It's got a good finale, though I tend to warn people that everything about the movie is calculated to make you really angry.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:17 pm

Quote:
I don't really get why people didn't like The Raid. I thought it had a solid set up and frequent, quality action.

Nothing wrong with the set up and also plenty of action but the quality of the action was really a let down, it all looked the same. Once you had seen 1 fight you had seen them all! It had some brutal killings but that still doesn't make up for a good fight. The drug lab fight was the only fight in the movie that stood out for me.

My movies ( note don't saying they are all great or really have MA action but they have their merits)

HK:
Wu Xia
Bodyguards and Assassins ( I like the story don"t watch this for the action it does have some entertaining moments, just nothing good from donnie beside the parkour scene)
Fire of Conscience ( just for the shoot out)
Legend of the Fist: the Return of Chen Zhen ( boring movie but the first half does have some great action)

Korea:
The Man from Nowhere ( love this one)
Confession of Murder
Running Man
Always ( great story but more of a romance drama so if you are not into that skip it)
Bedevilled ( not an action movie but one of the best movies to come out in years, only the end is a bit of a let down)
Secretly Greatly ( fun movie)

Japan:
Rurouni Kenshin
Sword of Desperation

America:
Undisputed III

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:22 pm

Punch wrote:
The World's End (I think people will be surprised by the quality of the action in this)

I just read that Brad Allan handled the action, so now I'm not surprised- I bet the action is kick ass!

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:24 pm