It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:59 am

Best Martial Arts Movies for Newbies? 

Post Best Martial Arts Movies for Newbies?
So I obviously love MA movies, and talk about them all the time, and do the typical snobby "Yeah... I guess that movie is OK..." whenever someone tries to have a conversation with me about something they've seen, which either leads to people asking for movie recommendations or not talking to me any more.

Recommendations are tricky, because unfortunately most MA movies are kind of terrible when considered as a whole. Or at least not particularly outsider friendly.

What are your recommendations in these cases?

Mine are typically:

Drive
It's reasonably well made, some of the comedy is very well done, the fights are all good (if completely derivative), and it's in English. English is often important, I know plenty of people who just won't watch subtitled movies.

Undisputed 2
Mostly for the same reasons as Drive.

Mr. Canton and Lady Rose
This is my personal favourite Jackie movie, and I feel like it's one of the few times where story, comedy, and fights all come together really well.

Ip Man
This seems to be a good introductory movie. I don't entirely understand why, but it really seems to connect with people.

Fearless
I like this movie a lot. It's well made and it seems to deliver exactly what people expect from a traditional MA movie while still being modern and approachable.

Tue May 06, 2014 1:48 am

Post Re: Best Martial Arts Movies for Newbies?
Newer ones
Undisputed 3 :P
The Raid 1 and 2
Merantau

The old movies to me are the best though like LKL, Gordon Liu,Shawbrothers etc.(to many to list) (Mostly these hooked me.)
I use to like some of the 80's and 90's movies actors as well maybe Gary Daniels, Daniel Bernhardt, Cynthia Rothrock, Loren avedon, Don the Dragon Wilson, Dale Apollo Cook, Jeff Wincott, Jeff Speakman, JVC, Steven Seagal, Phillip Rhee, Chuck Norris, Bolo Yeung etc.(to many to list) The bold ones had some decent stories in there movies.
My two cents anyway.
Not sure which be better for newbies though, I think you either like them or you don't.

Last edited by slinky on Wed May 07, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 06, 2014 1:55 am

Thanks for the input.

You could well be right about people either liking these types of movies or not.

I've just occasionally had slightly awkward movie nights where I've been asked to show something a little off the beaten path (so something outside of Rush Hour, Matrix, etc.), but then one or two people clearly don't enjoy the movie. It can make being a host a little uncomfortable.

Tue May 06, 2014 2:13 pm
Site Admin

Dragon Lord always goes over well.

Wed May 07, 2014 8:16 pm
Profile WWW

If storyline is not important then I'd try Tiger Cage 2 - so many quality fights.

YouTube Page

Thu May 08, 2014 3:07 pm
Profile WWW