It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:29 pm

What do you eat? 
Site Admin

Post What do you eat?
What do you guys eat? How much? When?

Sunday, Monday and Thursday I eat 1 meal at dinner time, which is a big one. I do this on Sunday because I usually have a social reason to eat one big meal, and Monday and Thursday I'm away from home almost the entire day so I just work through the day and eat when I get home. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday I typically eat 2 meals per day. One around 11:30 (often this is a lot of meat and eggs), then one between 7:00pm and 9:00pm.

Beef, lamb, pork, and eggs are grass-fed, free range, organic and all that other crap that makes it expensive. This isn't only for health reasons really, I just like knowing the animals are being treated well because I like em. Fish are wild-caught and as low on the food chain as possible. Any other seafood is fair game but I don't eat much of it.

What I like:

Coffee with half and half or straight cream, daily (my vice)
Almond milk
Club soda
Pork (chops, roasts, but especially bacon :D)
Lamb
Beef (Steak, tri-tip, ground)
Bison whenever I can get it
Salmon
Shrimp, scallops, crab, lobster, oysters, squid, octopus, clams, etc.
Eggs
Raw almonds and cashews and their butters, raw macadamias when I can find em
Pumpkin seeds (for my hour+ commute)
Strawberries (they're on crack this season, I dunno what's going on but they're everywhere and they're cheap)
Blue, black, and raspberries, though not as often because they're expensive
Coconuts and coconut milk
Avocados (I eat them whole, they're that good here)
Cheese (stinky or creamy, I hate cheddar and jack)
Small curd cottage cheese (full fat)
Greek yogurt if I can afford it (Greek's got a low carb content, which isn't the case with most other yogurt, and full-fat when I can though it's hard to find because it's "unhealthy")
Olives
Unrefined coconut oil
Butter
Dark chocolate

Mon May 10, 2010 11:36 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: What do you eat?
I typically eat around three meals a day; one first thing after waking up, one sometime around midday (whenever that may be in relation to the time I get up) and one a few hours before bed, although at times I can eat as few as one meal a day (usually on days that I work) or as many as five. In the time in between, I may or may not snack a few times on raw nuts, fruit, or some form of protein. Most of my meals consist of some source of protein, a complex carb on the side or supplementary to the protein source, and some type of nutrient-rich vegetable. I try to make breakfast the largest meal of the day but sometimes I have trouble not eating too much at dinner if I've gone a while without eating. I generally only drink water, green tea, and black coffee, although every now and then I can't help but indulge in a soda (my only real vice) or some not-from-concentrate, no-sugar-added fruit juice (orange, pineapple-coconut, and pomegranate).

Some of the stuff I eat...

Breakfast
-Eggs
-Bacon
-Sausage
-Non-flavored oatmeal
-Protein shake (made with fruit; usually a banana, some berries and whole milk)
-Nuts/other fruit

Eggs and protein smoothies are pretty much all I ever eat for breakfast unless I'm out someplace. When I mix up a smoothie, I usually supplement with some almonds or some other kind of solid food to keep from feeling hungry so soon afterwards.

Lunch
-Grilled chicken/beef
-Deli meats
-Cheeses
-Tuna
-Cottage cheese
-Salad greens

Dinner
-More meat, cheese
-Limited pasta/rice/other grains
-Veggies
-Fish
-Sushi

Snack Food
-Nuts (!)
-Fruit
-Whey protein
-Dark chocolate
-Guacamole
-Salad
-Peanut butter

Junk Food (Limited)
-Soda
-Chips
-Fried food
-Fast food

Even when I'm splurging calorically I tend to avoid sweets or excess sugar aside from soda, which is good, I guess. My main MO is just to get around 150g protein per day, less than 150g carbs, some source of MUFA and/or some sats, and try to eat smaller meals as the day progresses/avoid eating before sleeping or lounging. Realistically, my carb intake could be much lower, but until it starts affecting my energy levels with blood sugar spikes or causes me to pack on extra body fat, I probably won't cut too much. My diet is a lot cleaner than the stuff I see other people eating but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Tue May 11, 2010 12:03 am
Site Admin

Nothing settles my hunger better than a huge platter of sashimi.

Quote:
My main MO is just to get around 150g protein per day

How much do you weigh out of curiosity?

Quote:
some source of MUFA

What's your main source? Do you balance against PUFAs?

Tue May 11, 2010 12:23 am
Profile WWW

Quote:

It has to be a new topic! :)

http://jetteamproduction.blogspot.com/

Tue May 11, 2010 1:25 pm

stuntpeople wrote:
Nothing settles my hunger better than a huge platter of sashimi.

Eegad, same here! I'm in love with all things sushi. There's a really great little place downtown here that serves the freshest sushi I've ever had in my life. I could founder on that stuff.

Quote:

I'm usually about 150-155, but lately I've changed the structure of my workouts to aim for more proficiency at manipulating my own bodyweight, which means fewer lifting days and more sprinting, tumbling, bagwork and calisthenics/plyometrics. I think the last time I weighed myself I was 145. I don't always get 150g of protein, but it's a mark I like to shoot for to make sure muscle gain is expedited and maintained so that I'm not devouring my own muscle when I don't get fed. At least 80-100g a day, though.

Quote:
What's your main source? Do you balance against PUFAs?

I eat a lot of olive oil, avocados, dark chocolate and nuts. I really don't give other fats too much thought; I mainly just eat what I like and what jives well with my body. Which reminds me... I've got a date with some bacon.

Tue May 11, 2010 11:15 pm

I've been on my diet for over a month. I've lost around 35 pounds, went down a pant-size, my tummy is flattening out. But on the bad side, I seem to be having withdrawal syndromes connected to my sugar intake. I spent the better part of the weekend (where I should have been working) suffering from shakes, paranoia, insomnia and stress. Part of that is my personal chemistry, but the other part seems to be cutting junk food from my diet. Gah. Anybody else familiar with this kind of thing?

Mon May 31, 2010 4:01 am
Site Admin

If you're cutting sweets and carby stuff then that's normal, I had a similar experience. Same thing happens when you quit smoking or anything that's addictive. Congrats on the weight loss!

Mon May 31, 2010 6:16 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks, I'm just getting started (re: weight loss), I got a way to travel and a lot of work to do, cause I've let myself go to seed over the last nine years. Luckily I have a friend who's an expert in nutrition and physiology helping me set up a plan and schedule. She helped cure some kid of his seizures (he was having 60 a day, and then she put him on a massive-fats diet and he's down to zero), and she helped some 500 pound guy get down to 145 pounds, so I have a lot of confidence in her work. She said the same thing you said, that it's just withdrawal from the junk, carby, sugary foods. How long did it stay in your system? I've been off Salty foods for a few weeks and I have literally no cravings for them. Is it the same for sugar-carb foods? Once you get off is it easy to stay off?

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:36 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
Is it the same for sugar-carb foods? Once you get off is it easy to stay off?

It's not very easy, especially if you live in the States since you're offered carby stuff everywhere you go and lots of restaurants don't have a single paleo item on the menu. Many vendors or families can't understand why you wouldn't eat their meats and vegetables with extra carby stuff. Then they're surprised that you're able to eat more than anyone else.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:16 pm
Profile WWW

I used to eat healthy on a regular basis, but this semester, I've eaten a lot of junk food for the busy college life. Now that I'm done and have a shit ton of time, I'll start going back to my usual diet.

When I try to eat healthy:
Pistachios, unsalted peanuts, cashews
Cottage Cheese
2% Fat Milk
Roast beef
Pita bread and hummus
Wheat Bread
assortment of veggies
grilled chicken
Salmon
Steak
Pasta with meat sauce
Rice
Egg (sometimes just the egg whites)
Fruits (but I usually like fruits when they are in smoothie or juice form. Blended and fresh squeezed of course)

I hate:
Breaded sweets: Cake (only eat it if my best friend is offering it to me like on her birthday), Twinkies most of all
cremes (creme fillings of breaded sweets)

Supplements:
When I work out I like to intake 20-60 grams of Whey Protein powder within 30 min after I workout.

Guilty Pleasures:
Chocolate
Ice Cream
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:43 pm

Ohohohoho man, I just got back from a five-day beach vacation during which I absolutely ditched my normal diet and ate everything and as much of anything as I wanted. It was great. I replaced water and green tea with Cheerwine and Capri Sun, had Marvel Superhero popsicles for breakfast, ate gravy on whatever would soak it up, and one night everything I ate for dinner was fried except for the soup that came with it. I also didn't work out at all unless you count swimming and frollicking on the beach. Feels phenomenal to have an easy cheat week once in a while. Best of all, I don't feel any worse for wear, although I'm sure my body is going to hate itself once I start working out again this afternoon.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:31 pm
Site Admin

Ya'll are going to eat me alive for this one...

I started avoiding fruits as much as possible. I eat blueberries and raspberries still because the fructose content is so low, sometimes strawberries. My theory is this:

There are vitamins in the fruits that can probably be good for us, but the mission of fruit isn't to help animals be healthy. It's to further the reproduction of the fruit tree. Whether it makes the eater fat in 30 years is of very little consequence in the evolutionary timeline of a fruit tree. The most "fit" fruits evolved to be addictive and swallowed in large numbers in order to transplant seeds in animals' dung. The sweeter the fruit, the more addictive it was, and the better it could spread its seed. Even better if it could get the host to stay put and eat every fruit that dropped from the branches.

Unfortunately for animals, there's a chemical in fruits, fructose, which hinders leptin receptors. Leptin is the "full" signal given off by fat tissue to stop animals from eating. When leptin receptors are inhibited by fructose, leptin circulates in the blood in more concentrated amounts, and too much leptin in the blood results in leptin resistance, much like insulin resistance. Leptin resistance means you never get full, and when you intake more carbohydrates/fructose than normal due to carb cravings, you store even more fat. The excess fat produces further elevated levels of leptin, causing further leptin resistance, which explains why obesity spirals out of control so easily. From the wiki:

Quote:
Function
Leptin acts on receptors in the hypothalamus of the brain where it inhibits appetite by (1) counteracting the effects of neuropeptide Y (a potent feeding stimulant secreted by cells in the gut and in the hypothalamus); (2) counteracting the effects of anandamide (another potent feeding stimulant that binds to the same receptors as THC, the active ingredient of marijuana); and (3) promoting the synthesis of α-MSH, an appetite suppressant. This inhibition is long-term, in contrast to the rapid inhibition of eating by cholecystokinin (CCK) and the slower suppression of hunger between meals mediated by PYY3-36. The absence of a leptin (or its receptor) leads to uncontrolled food intake and resulting obesity. Several studies have shown that fasting or following a very-low-calorie diet (VLCD) lowers leptin levels. It might be that on short-term leptin is an indicator of energy balance. This system is more sensitive to starvation than to overfeeding. That is, leptin levels do not rise extensively after overfeeding. It might be that the dynamics of leptin due to an acute change in energy balance are related to appetite and eventually to food intake. Although this is a new hypothesis, there are already some data that support it.

Leptin resistance and obesity
Although leptin is a circulating signal that reduces appetite, in general, obese people have an unusually high circulating concentration of leptin. These people are said to be resistant to the effects of leptin, in much the same way that people with type 2 diabetes are resistant to the effects of insulin. The high sustained concentrations of leptin from the enlarged adipose stores result in leptin desensitization. The pathway of leptin control in obese people might be flawed at some point so the body doesn't adequately receive the satiety feeling subsequent to eating.

Fructose and leptin resistance
A study published recently suggests that the consumption of high amounts of fructose causes leptin resistance and elevated triglycerides in rats. The high-fructose diet rats subsequently ate more and gained more weight than controls when fed a high fat, high calorie diet.

Studies are always shaky on the benefits of fruit. They have huge margins of error and nutritionists have to pair them with vegetables because fruits alone aren't healthy enough. Veggies are far better for animals because their mode of reproduction didn't depend on a host eating the seed. Wind or animal fur usually transported vegetable seed adequately, and the stalk or leaf happened to be edible sometimes, but this didn't impact the reproductive ability of a plant. Even plants that aren't edible can reproduce quite well.

On the other hand, fruit farmers, like corn and wheat farmers, have a lobby that vegetable farmers can't compete with, reason being that fruits and corn are used to sweeten foods. Sweet foods are addictive and bring good sales, and now that corn syrup is losing its edge in the market fruit juice is all the rage with producers. The fruit juice being used might be a slight improvement, but it hardly solves the problem, and you'll still have fat kids drinking juice endlessly and having a bottomless pit of a stomach. Vegetables don't bring the sales. Tons of money is at stake in fruit and grain in the US, which taints studies.

I'm also open to the idea that different metabolisms treat fructose differently, but as a basic principle, I'm arguing that fruits, by their reproductive nature, usually aren't helpful to animals, and often they're harmful. The biggest, sweetest ones (melons, pineapples, oranges) are the worst and the smallest, least sweet ones (blueberries, raspberries) tend to be better.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:43 pm
Profile WWW

I'm pretty sure you'll live to be 150 years old. :-D

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:52 pm
Profile WWW

What about bugs? Isn't that the future.. :P

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:44 am
Site Admin

Hell yeah. I like crickets with garlic.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:58 am
Profile WWW

I used to know this guy who would eat crickets when he was in prison. He would pick them up and pull some of the legs off and eat them while they were still alive. Said they tasted like really crunchy watermelon. I dont know how that would taste with garlic, Eric.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

If they're cooked with garlic they just taste like garlic. Moonshadows in LA serves them.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:57 pm
Profile WWW

My breakfast:

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:08 am

The French will eat anything ;)

YouTube Page

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Those are good with garlic.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:07 pm
Profile WWW

Babies are also good with garlic! Seriously I love eating and cooking, and I think I can eat almost everything (but no I don't eat frogs or snails!). The funny thing is that as a cook, I love good things, good products and good food. My girlfriend is vietnamese so I eat a lot of soup, vegetables and white meat and a lot of crazy and delicious meals! But I also love pizza, pasta, cheese, eggs, red meat and of course junk food occasionally! I eat 3 times a day, a huge breakfast with gallons of orange juice, a big lunch in the middle of the day and a huge dinner at night!

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:15 am

Quote:
I eat 3 times a day, a huge breakfast with gallons of orange juice, a big lunch in the middle of the day and a huge dinner at night

Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:18 pm

I'm 80kg for 180cm.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:26 am

90 kg, 1.81 m

working to lose some weight..... again. :\

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:00 pm

During the workout of bodybuilding lot of energy is required, and this energy can only get from the healthy meal. so make a healthy diet plan for all
the nutritions, as suggest in thread.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:45 am