It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:24 pm

What do you eat? 
Site Admin

Post Re: What do you eat?
We're interested in specifics, Hudson :D

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:21 am
Profile WWW

Right, I seem to be the first vegetarian around here. I haven't eaten meat in about seven years or so, and I'm allergic to milk proteins, so I'm almost vegan (I eat eggs though).

In a day I eat breakfast, most often some whole-grain bread with my girlfriend's home-made hummus. Then for lunch I mostly eat left-overs from last nights dinner. For dinner, I almost always cook the food - tofu with fried potatoes, soy-based sausage, bacon, chicke, lampchops, you name it, a lot of potatoes, rice, sauces - mostly based on tomatoes, or coconut milk.

I also eat a lot of snacks and candy - mostly chips and nuts, and I drink a lot of soda.

I almost never work out, and I weigh around 75-80 kg, at 189 cm. So veggies are good for your weight - also, if you cut down on the milk-based products, that will def. make you lose weight.
My girlfriend also lost around 20 kilos when starting my "diet".

Wed May 04, 2011 3:12 pm

But all that weight you're lacking is lean muscle. :D

Sat May 14, 2011 4:54 pm
Site Admin

I've been on my meat-based diet that's high in saturated fat and very low carb (under 50g per day almost every day) for two years now, and I've converted four or five of the SP crew to the dark side with me, and all have experienced results similar to mine. They eat like this to the dismay of their girlfriends and families who can't imagine why one would do something so insane as taking a steak instead of rice pilaf or bacon instead of oatmeal. The benefits are across the board (taste included, I always hated grains), but yesterday I realized that my strength had gone through the roof compared to where I was just 2 years ago when I was seriously training, and I'm smaller than before. Yesterday I tested some max strength.

My bench max went up 30 pounds (245 lbs in 2009 -> 275 lbs today, I haven't benched much since 2009, but do push-ups from time to time) and my dead lift max went up 100 pounds (275 in 2009 -> 375 lbs today). I did 225 pull-ups within about 45 minutes and can dead hang for a little over 2 minutes now, doubling my record in '09, and I can squat 275 lbs to 90 degrees in sets.

The irony of this is I haven't been seriously strength training at all for the past 2 years. My average week is 2 days of gym sessions that are 30 minutes long max and I do 2-4 exercises, plus some sporadic, not-so-intensive stunt practice on Saturdays. Compared to 2008-2009, where I was training 4-6 days per week, with 60-minute weight lifting sessions 3x/week, 30-minute cardio 4-5x/week, my results are undeniably better for seemingly counter-intuitive reasons. In 08-09 I also ate a very high-carb low-saturated fat (low-meat) diet bordering on vegetarian, suffered from being hungry constantly, moody and light headed when hungry, unable to survive on little sleep, etc., and could not f*cking improve at the gym. Throughout this past year, improvements have been obvious and surprising.

I'm convinced now after two years of solid adherence to this eating style that this performance improvement is 80% due to diet. Effort in the gym seems to matter far less than I had expected.

Thu May 19, 2011 4:43 pm
Profile WWW

Can you go into more details about your meat based diet, i'm very interested...... thx

I came to the conclusion early this year that diet is the biggest factor.... before when losing weight I just trained loads, maybes too much and then eat slightly more healthily...... not really having a clue about diet I just cut out some junk food and snacks...... but this time..... I think it was u Eric, who said you lose weight by diet only so I read up alot about nutrition and changed my diet to what little knowledge i have gained so far and I lost around 10kg in 2 and a half weeks.... which is maybes my quickest weight loss yet.... I've lost a few more kilos since then and now I'm very lean yet still maintained a fair amount of muscle, its reduced slightly but.... I can still lift the same weights I could when i was much heavier...... strange thing is I sort of got bored with all the training I was doing and now I only train 2 or 3 times a week.... whereas before it was almost about 7-10 times a week (mornings & nights) and i feel and look much better...

I am looking to try and put on muscle but still keep my 6 pack.... everytime I try I always seem to get fat :(

Fri May 20, 2011 12:31 am

When I get up I eat a breakfast consisting of a bowl of yoghurt with cereal, a slice of white bread with butter and liver pate, sometimes cheese, and I drink a glass of orange juice. For dinner I usually eat some kind of meat; sausage, bolognese sauce, chicken, meatballs, hamburgers, etc. Often with pasta, rice, bread, or french fries, and I drink a glass of milk. At night I might grab a couple of sandwiches and a glass of chocolate milk, and an apple or a pear.

I haven't gained or lost any weight in the last couple of years. Perhaps because I walk two hours every day. I'm at 65 kg and I am 178 cm tall.

Fri May 20, 2011 1:22 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Here's all the info in one quick cheat-sheet:

http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Fri May 20, 2011 3:24 am
Profile WWW

Thanks man! very interesting!

Fri May 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Question here. What about the triglycerides?

Fri May 20, 2011 9:04 pm
Site Admin

Not to worry. Lots of misinformation has led to the wrong culprit being blamed. Turns out saturated fat ain't the poison it was hyped up to be. If it were, then coconuts would kill you:

(Data from here)

My point: saturated fat research is only 50 years old and is dead wrong.

Sat May 21, 2011 12:04 am
Profile WWW

I eat mainly eat most of my meals with something like rice, pasta, cous cous, etc....... I remember reading a while ago about an alternative to rice that contains protein..... I really can't remember what it is...... think it started with Q.... any help? I need me more protein :)

Sun May 22, 2011 5:32 pm

You're talking about quinoa which is very popular in Brazil: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

Sun May 22, 2011 10:15 pm
Profile WWW

that was it! thanks!.... just need to find somewhere that sells it now :)

Sun May 22, 2011 10:21 pm