It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:26 pm

Your workout 
Site Admin

Post Your workout
I started working out regularly again today... meaning I've worked out once so far in two months. Anyway I'm looking for good power-generating exercise routines. Right now I'm doing this twice per week (and then gymnastics on Saturday). Anyone have a good 2-day workout routine? I tend to do a lot of kettle bell and body-weight exercises. I don't like machines.

Tue May 25, 2010 12:03 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Your workout
Squat, bench press, deadlift, repeat.

Tue May 25, 2010 12:11 am

I think it's more in HOW you do the exercises than the specific exercises themselves. Power is a strange beast. I guess it depends on what kind of power you truly want.

In any case, it's good to find out what your 100% maximum is with whatever given exercise you're going to do. Take a squat for a example. Finding out what your 100% maximum squat is useful because then you can adjust the weight and reps accordingly to train power. I believe for power you want to do something like 60-70% of your max with like 5-8 reps and the motion has to be quick and explosive. When you train for max "strength" you do like 80-100% but like sets varying from 1-5 reps.

To safely progress, you usually go through a period of anatomical adaptation (low weight squats to allow your muscular/skeletal/tendons), hypertrophy (typical bodybuilding-style, medium weight more reps), then max strength (above), and finally power.

Tue May 25, 2010 4:55 pm

During the school year, I used to Squat, Deadlift, Powerclean, and Bench. Now out of school, I try doing 10-20 pushups everyday and sometimes I go to the weightroom to work on upper body. Sometimes I'll do 200 different varieties on ab workouts: Bycicle, crunches and obliques usually in repeats or sets of 50. I think for two days though, one day weight training, another aerobics.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:15 am
Profile WWW

Not counting my MA training, I do lots of calisthenics and some Qigong. My current split is:

Mon/Thurs:
3x10 Chair dips
3x25 regular pushups
3x25 wide pushups
3x25 diamond pushups
4x10-12 bench dips
4 sets of abs as many as i can but not to failure

Wed: Qigong

Tues/Fri:
3x10 wide grip pullups
3x10 regular grip
3x10 close grip
3x10 reverse grip
4x10-12 bodyweight rows(nice and slow)
1X ab plank
2x obliques aiming for 2 mins each set

Sat: legs
4x25 baithaks
4x25 lunges
4x25 bootstrappers
4x50 calf raises
I do this after my kicking workout earlier in the day:
20 kicks each leg(20 left then 20 right no rest)

Sun: Yoga/Qigong/Meditation/Rest

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:12 pm
Profile WWW

My workout schedule varies week to week depending on when I work and whether or not I feel like doing anything at all. I typically work out about four days a week, no less than three, and any of those sessions could be anything from weight training to swimming to freerunning to a game of hardcore dodgeball. However, I like to reserve at least two days a week for heavy lifting at the gym and then use the other days do practice whatever I'm in the mood for or feel like I need to improve. That way it switches up week by week and doesn't get boring as quickly as it would if I were on a set schedule every single week. This week, for instance, I'm working out on the heavy bag today, doing plyometrics tomorrow, lifting Wednesday and either running sprints or swimming laps Friday. Ever since I started mixing my training styles and frequencies up I've been staying a lot leaner and generally stronger in more areas, which is great since I strive for a nice balance. My "big 3" lifts have gone down a bit, but my vertical jump has never been better, my 60m time never faster and my endurance never as good as it has been in recent months.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Wow, where can I play extreme dodgeball? That sounds super fun.

I get my workout through 3 or 4 parkour/freerunning training sessions a week, at least one if which is strictly focused on conditioning training. All bodyweight exercises. I also ride my unicycle around.

Community administrator of SFParkour | Co-founder of Parkour Connections | http://www.lethalbeef.com

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm
Profile WWW

We play in the half-court basketball area of my local gym, which is nice because it's netted so you don't have to chase stray balls all over the place, and we use those rubbery, hollow volleyballs, which are perfect for clearing the sinuses of anyone not quick enough to get out of the way in time. You should come down and play with us sometime!

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:19 pm

My workout is
leg lifts, plank, and the crunch for the abs. Walking, Sprinting and adding hills or an incline, Bicycling, Swimming Push ups and dips.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:52 am

I know this might sound corny but i do the P90X workout for my exercise.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:14 am

What kind of power are you looking to gain? Pushing/pulling power or striking power? Or both? After a huge injury I got back into working out, but changed up what I usually do. I got big gains in power and striking from changing the type of exercises I do. Added a lot of variation. Mixed plyometrics and speed exercises, body weight exercise, and strength enhancers with the weights. I stopped eating that protein bar crap, especially after every bro at my gym started using creatine, protein bars, and flexing in the mirror. Screw aesthetics was my game plan. I haven't worked out crazy like that in a while, been focusing on my career. But I promised myself to go nuts again when I catch a break.

Also swifttoxic: I would probably never do P90x. It's just not my thing. BUT never let the haters of P90x or any workout trend, make any impression on you. The way I see it is that P90x is geared for beginners, people trying to change things up or theyre trying to have fun while losing weight. Tons of people hate on P90x. But to me, if it motivates someone into losing weight why not? I know two guys who got into P90x and although they admit the infomercials are cheesy, they lost so much weight, gained endurance, and feel that they are in the best shape of their entire life. I think as long as you're motivated, you will take your fitness to new levels each time.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:24 pm

P90X is definitely not for beginners. As gimmicky and brainless as the advertisements make it look, it is legitimate and it is difficult.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:44 am

I do deadlifts and squats, b/c I just care about being explosive. You can follow the 5/3/1 program

http://grigaitis.net/5/3/1/

or do a variation of Kelly Bagget's Vertical Jump Bible training program, which is basically twice a week, and try to break your max each time until you plateau. (If you're new to deadlifting and squatting, the gains in the beginning happen really quick, so it's fun. =) )

Good goal is twice your bodyweight. Have fun! =D

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:41 pm
Profile WWW

Hey you know Steve Terada, right? Well he used to do Russians or Russian squat jumps which got him some huge height. Everyone was asking him how he got such crazy height and well plyometrics was the answer. With the amazing effects of plyometrics, I wonder why so many people neglect it. If anyone here has never tried it, try it one summer and your jump will increase like crazy.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:23 pm

ActionDirector wrote:
Hey you know Steve Terada, right? Well he used to do Russians or Russian squat jumps which got him some huge height. Everyone was asking him how he got such crazy height and well plyometrics was the answer. With the amazing effects of plyometrics, I wonder why so many people neglect it. If anyone here has never tried it, try it one summer and your jump will increase like crazy.

If you want to increase just straight up Vertical Jump, then definitely do the Vertical Jump Bible by Kelly Bagget. I did one of his 3 month programs and got about an inch and half on my vertical from it. Translating that to acrobatics is another thing tho haha.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:01 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah vertical jumping exercises work well with tricking, even if the only plyometrics you're doing is vertical jump exercises. But doing a lot of side-to-side fast-twitch movements or one legged plyos really help with acrobatic movements. After busting my butt for a summer, I got 2-3 inches of extra jump height and was able to do moves I thought weren't possible for me. It was almost disappointing to think, all that time I was focusing on building fast torque or speed in my kicks, all I needed to do was fix my jump height to get the tricks I wanted.

Another way it makes it hard to combine with acrobatic training is draining your legs for that day. If you space out the work outs though it shouldn't be a problem.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:03 pm