It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Weight loss without losing muscle? 

Post Weight loss without losing muscle?
Last year I wanted to slim down so I lost about 20kg, fairly easy quite quick. but my muscle also reduced quite alot. I lost the weight in about 8 weeks and stayed at about 75kg for about a year but I obviously couldnt lift as heavy weights as when I was 95kg. My muscle just seemed to start shrinking. I stopped training hard a few months ago and put on a bit of weight and then decided I'll bulk up the muscle again, I went up to about 85kg. All was going well until I got really busy with work and stuff and didn't have the time to train intensely (I always try to do some training most days) And the muscle i put on seemed to go flabby, ALthough Ben and Jerrys was on offer that month as well :D
I started training hard to lose the weight fast again 2 weeks ago and lost 5kg in the first week but instead of going to lighter weights like last time I am lifting much heavier and only doing 1-3 reps per set. Again this was going great but i got busy again and probably put 5kg back on.
Anyway, does any one know of a good method of losing weight (only about 15kg) but keeping muscle mass. I obviously expect to lose some mass but don't want to go skinny like before. I'm, also not really into slow methods, prefer to just lose the fat in a few weeks.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:15 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Weight loss without losing muscle?
I have a hard time believing that you gained and lost as much muscle mass as you say in so short a time. Did you measure the muscle loss?

Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:59 pm
Profile WWW

Sorry i worded it pretty bad. I just lost around 20kgs of fat in the first couple of months, looked almost ripped and then over the next year my muscle and strength seemed to be reducing quite a bit. I wasn't eating too good though so I think I just wasn't giving my muscles enough protein. Im back to eating alot now though, Its great! :)

Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:04 pm
Site Admin

You're not losing muscle. You're just gaining fat, and the decrease in strength is due to muscular atrophy, which goes away after hitting the gym for a month. Losing significant muscle mass is extremely unlikely because your body will burn up its adipose reserves before even considering burning muscle.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:23 pm
Profile WWW

Any significant reduction of fat will always be accompanied by a slight reduction of muscle mass, just as any attempt to increase muscle mass is met with an increase in body fat. The reason for this is that drastic alterations to body composition arise as the result of diet as well as exercise, and in making any significant changes the two are inextricably linked. Maintaining lean muscle is a matter of getting enough protein to preserve and build new muscle fiber while cutting excess nutrients that are contributing to overall weight gain. In most cases, all it takes is a big enough decrease in carbohydrate consumption for your body to begin recognizing fat as a fuel source instead of a resource that must be preserved at all costs, which is how the human body naturally deals with fatty tissue. Keep the protein levels high and the sugar levels low. This will help you bypass those dastardly blood-sugar spikes that fuck with your insulin levels and lead to the storage of new fatty tissue. Also, depending on what exercise protocol you're using to meet whatever goal you have set for yourself, you could consider shortening the rest periods in between sets and individual moves to make the workout cardiovascularly taxing, as oxygen debt has been demonstrated to contribute to the metabolization of fat stores similar to the principles behind hight intensity interval training.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:27 pm
Site Admin

DFX as a general rule, how long a workout would you recommend?

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:12 am
Profile WWW

This is kinda one of those instances of quality over quantity. I know people that practically live at the gym but they never see any gains and half of them look like they've never exercised in their lives. However long it takes to accomplish the things you've set out to accomplish is how long a workout should be. Like, when I'm doing a raw strength or power phase and I do heavy squat workouts or run sprints, my workouts are usually over in less than an hour because all I'll do is just go to the gym and squat and go home. If I'm in a fat loss cycle or one of the kooky experimental phases I go through were I do total body workouts every lifting day of the week, I might be at the gym for an hour or hour and a half, or just until I'm wiped, but rarely as long as two hours unless someone is talking to me and preventing me from getting shit done. Like I recommended to T79K, I try to minimize the time I take between sets and moves so that I can get out of there as quickly as possible (I hate gyms).

I realize that doesn't really answer your question, but different workouts and different people are so specific that it's hard to be general. I guess generally an hour is a good parameter, unless you're doing Tabatas or something, then you can be done in four minutes, hell yeah!

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:08 pm

I can really only workout with weights for around an hour at most. Get bored any longer. Same with boxing and jogging. Bike riding though I could do all day, and i do.
I've started minimising my rest between sets and my muscles feel like they are getting more of a work out and I sweat alot more now. My problem is motivation when im in my gym as its in my garage, and its mostly just by myself so between sets you end up day dreaming and stuff whereas in the gym you sort of just keep going as its full of people.
Thanks for the advice DFX.
What would you recommend as good exercise/sports for weight loss. At the moment I my work out is roughly this:

Mon-Thurs
1 to 3 mornings before work either:

Swim 30m
Jogging 45m (outside, not too keen on treadmills)
Bike ride 50m (outside, not too keen on exercise bikes)
Speedball 30m

After work
Usually weights 3 nights a week (just free weights & kettlebells, don't like machines) followed by a swim, jog, or speedball & heavy bag (can't bike ride due to dark nights now)
One night I a week I go for a 10mile jog

Weekends
This varies alot, mostly spent on a mountain bike trail with jumps and all that good dangerous shit, lots of uphill riding. around 2hrs
Jogging once or twice
boxing, speedball & heavy bag
try to fit in an hour stretching session
Usually one of the days I go for a big 50-70 mile bike ride around 5hrs.

My weight loss is usually around 2 - 4kgs a week.

I think I could do with a bit more variation, I use to play football (or soccer whatever you call it) once a week but this has stopped so I think I need another sport in there. Was thinking of taking up a racquet sport.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:12 am
Site Admin

I can't lose weight by working out. Weight loss all diet for me.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:21 pm
Profile WWW

Everybody is different. Some exercises my friends do, seem like they do nothing for me. I also change my diet when I'm losing weight, its not just exercise. No more ice cream for a couple of months :(

Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:20 pm

It sounds more than anything like you might just be doing too much, T. That's a pretty loaded exercise week, especially with that much cardio. I might cut out about a third of that and replace it with various strength training workouts all tailored for different purposes (raw strength one workout, endurance another, etc.). Your ambitions seem to be as a general athlete, so that kind of variation would probably be good for you and keep you from getting bored and losing motivation. Also, don't eat mashed potatoes, that shit will kill you.

As far as having a gym at home, you're very fortunate and you should take as much advantage of that setup as you can. I would recommend listening to some music that gets you hyped up while you work out and putting a clock somewhere visible so that you can monitor the time you spend resting to keep you from relaxing for too long. Once you get to the point where your body adapts to less and less rest, you can finish a fairly intense workout in as little as half an hour.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:46 pm
Site Admin

I'm gonna try the less-and-less rest thing today. I rest tons, which fails me in front of the camera :P

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:31 pm
Profile WWW

Last winter I got to the point where I could hit the gym, complete a workout and be back home wiping German chocolate cake crumbs off my wifebeater before a full revolution of the little hand. Now between sets I sit with my head between my knees and contemplate why my squat sucks so bad.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:00 am

It is common problem of the bodybuilders, that they want to loss weight
with out losing muscle. I am also facing the same problem, but now I can
overcome on this problem with the help of these solutions.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:41 am