It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Things you HATE in the indie stunt community... 

Post Things you HATE in the indie stunt community...
Things that get tired quickly:

- People trying to copy every Tony Jaa move. Double Roundhouse, overhand elbow, inverted elbow. It would be ok if there was some variation, but (especially around 2008-2010) many were sticking it in their choreography.

- The Scott Adkins kick. I loved it when it first came out. Now I see every tired copycat version of the kick everywhere. No variation. Theres plenty of room for variation there, but nope its sorta just played out. Its been around since before the Guyver days, but Scott just made that sexy in Undisputed.

- Lean back to dodge a roundhouse, twist around while grabbing their leg to Take them down: Another one from Undisputed. This one isnt even a flashy move, so you'd wonder why people would put it in their choreography.

- Seeing the more talented individuals not get screen time / not get picked. I work with a lot of the stunt guys in LA and often film them. I will still never understand why some get picked and some dont.

- Since I moved out here Im noticing a lot of girls who have never done a fight scene, barely make it in regular acting, somehow get picked for bigger roles. I knew a girl who got SAG certified after one stunt scene, never did stunts before. Meanwhile her teammates have been struggling 12 years + still not SAG.

It's a crazy world out here

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:45 am

Post Re: Things you HATE in the indie stunt community...
Pride. People who think they are at a certain level of "good".. but haven't learned yet, that that doesn't mean anything.. You have to be open to suggestions all of the time, and nothing matters but the way your movement works for the current shot/framing.

I was stuck in that loophole myself, for a while..thinking I was 'good', training with people who thought they were 'good'. Once you think you've arrived somewhere, you stop learning and improving.

Now I realize the real key to being a good stunt performer (at least in my personal world) is to be maleable, to train with people who aren't "good" at performing, so you can make any fight scene work. The people you think are so good at technique on screen, have actually perfected their movement to fill in spaces and constantly adjust timing with their partner.

True performers will take it on themselves to make the adjustment to make the shot work, rather than telling their partner that they need to change something for them. They will constantly prop everyone around them up, and keep the good energy flowing :)

PS
I used to think it was the technicality of the choreography that mattered above all, but now I realise the choreo could be SUPER SIMPLE yet look AMAZING. It's all about the performance (timing, spacing, and acting)

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:29 pm
Profile WWW