It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:01 am

Breakaway tables 

Post Breakaway tables
I've been trying to make some breakaway tables that are funchinal yet still look good on film. I did a couple of test runs and want to see what you guys think of them.
I made the table top using OSB plywood. The legs are what i've had the most problem with. Eather I would make them to strong and they wouldni't break right or if I made them so they would break they would just fall apart when I was trying to put the legs on. I finaly just used screws to hold it together until I got it into place, then I tape the legs and un-screw the screws.

Oh, and if anyone has any tips of making the falls look beter feel free to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-NhR5jKeXA

Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:34 am
Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: Breakaway tables
That was a really nice test. I like the location. The falls look quite good, but do better on acting out the pain after landing for falls for a real project.

Once you get the dimensions (ie. the height and the width/length of the table top) just right so it looks like a believable table and spray paint the whole thing the same color, it'll be even better.
A table cloth might be able to make it look better if it fits the situation. Even just a short one that reaches just a little over the edges to disguise how thin the table top is.

Good luck and post another test whenever you get a better table worked out!

Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:03 am

Looks really great dude! Great backfalls too! All you gotta do now is some work to disguise the fact that the tables have been specially prepared (cos you can see joins in the legs, and powder on the tops, etc). I like GKF's idea of table cloths, and have you thought about hiding the powder on the underside of the table? It should still burst out everywhere when you smash that thing. :)

EDIT: Oh one more thing, a lot of the time when people do furniture smashes in fight scenes they make it look a bit too staged by always landing in the exact centre of the table, etc. I don't know if that's something you want to think about when you start using these in proper fight scenes, but the essence of a good breakaway stunt, to my mind, is to make it look like you weren't meant to break it. :)

Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:57 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

I will surely take into accout what you said about making it look to staged SifuSocky.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:03 am
Profile YIM WWW

Pretty good! I like the dog too!

Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:12 pm
Profile WWW

I don't think he was expecting to have someone fall on a table right then.....lol

Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW