It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Need advice on stomach exercises you guys 

Post Need advice on stomach exercises you guys
Hey guys, I need some advice (all you personal trainers and fitness experts out there). Here's the deal: a friend of mine wants to try to lose some of the weight from his stomach area, BUT was in an auto accident a couple years ago that wrecked his knee joints. He finds that situps and squats and things put too much pressure on his knees and they cause him too much pain to carry on. So my question is, does anybody know of any exercises that will target the stomach area that will put the legs under little or no strain?? Assuming he doesn't have access to a gym or anything more complicated than some cheap dumbbells.

Thanks guys :)

Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:51 pm

Post Re: Need advice on stomach exercises you guys
Hello Sifu Socky, Unfortunately there is no way to target the stomach for fat loss(there is no such thing as spot reduction). But if you friend wants to lose weight without hurting his knees, then the best activities that I would recommend for him would be cardio. Swimming or Biking would be best. But he should really take advice from a doctor instead of strangers on a message board.

One
-J

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

For me it's 90% in the diet and the rest of it is the lifestyle. Getting enough sleep, managing stress, etc. I see fat dudes breaks their legs doing so much cardio and never lose their spare tire because they keep snacking on energy bars and Pepsi.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:40 pm
Profile WWW

Swift and Eric are both right; spot reduction is a common fitness myth, so no matter how much core work he does, it he's not doing the right combination of things to lose overall body fat, it's not going to end up doing him much good. In fact, it could make him look even more overweight if the abdominal hypertrophy isn't accompanied by fat loss, because the stomach would then just protrude further.

Unfortunately I can't think of really any core work that doesn't require being positioned in a way that could potentially hurt his knees or require at least some type of gym equipment. Even some of the standing abdominal exercises like suitcase deadlifts and reverse crunches might put too much pressure on the joints and cause him a lot of pain. He might be able to get by with the standard crunch on his back with his knees bent and lifted into the air, but generally speaking, the crunch is a "burn" exercise and doesn't do much for building lean muscle or strength in the midsection.

His best bet is probably going to be switching up his diet: I know it's hard due to work and lifestyle, but ideally he should be eating about every three hours, having a source of lean protein with every meal, avoiding processed carbohydrates and other unnecessary sugar where possible (too much bread, pasta, soda, candy, etc. does bad things to your insulin levels--fruit is okay as long as it's fresh), drinking mostly or only cold water, and trying to work out what he can when he can. Cardio alone doesn't do a lot for fat reduction, so have him do some bodyweight resistance training that doesn't hurt too much and just be active and move around a lot.

In the meantime, I'll keep researching to see if I can find some stress-free ab work, and if you'd like, I have a few articles that might help.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks for the help, guys. We've decided that some kind of cardio exercise routine plus a major change in diet is probably his best bet. Just trying to come up with a good cardio workout that won't cause his legs too much bother (he used to be an avid cyclist, until the knee joint problems became an issue).

Much appreciated. :)

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:27 am

If he's got access to a pool, swimming (vigorous) laps is a good way to trim up while also getting some resistance training in, and it's soft enough to probably not give his knees a lot of trouble.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:43 pm