It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 pm

Canon 7D VS Canon Rebel 

Post Canon 7D VS Canon Rebel
So I've been considering getting the Canon 7D, but was complaining to someone how I'm low on funds and they suggested I go for the cheaper Canon Rebel. They said it mostly had less bells & whistles as far as photography goes.

Would anyone else like to weigh in on this? Or perhaps go into a little more detail between the two?

I was also wondering if the Canon Rebel will still allow for all the same frame rate changes & slow-mo & snap zooming that the 7D can do.

Thanks!

Fri May 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Post Re: Canon 7D VS Canon Rebel
to put it in a few words. the video quality is the same. the 7D, 60D, Rebel T3i and T2i all have the same sensor size and video settings 1080p in 24fps and 30fps. 720p in 60fps, etc.

your extra money from buying a cheaper body will allow you to spend more on better glass.

I've used all those cameras and didn't notice any differences.
some pros about getting a 7D is some of the following:
-Kelvin color temperature control
-faster burst rate shooting (for photos)
-feels better ergonomically
-weather sealed
-more ISO options

though Magic lLantern on any of the Rebels will give you the Kelvin and extra iso options anyways.

thats my 2 cents hope this helps you out!

Sat May 05, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm just going to back up what gcdx wrote. Videowise, the two cameras are indistinguishable.

If you want to shoot a lot of stills, the 7d is the "better", more professional camera, but I am very happy with my Rebel. From what I've heard, a 7d requires a more confident/competent photographer, as it doesn't have the auto or "idiot" modes where the camera helps fill in the blanks. There are times with stills where I want the camera to decide what's best - especially if I'm handing it to someone to take a picture for me.

Sun May 06, 2012 5:25 pm

I agree with everyone else's comments - also consider the advantage of the flip-out screen for video work. It's a small thing, but if you're shooting a lot of video it really makes a difference unless you are planning to invest in an external monitor as well.

Fri May 11, 2012 10:14 pm

In most conditions you can get an identical image. 7d has more in-between ISO settings, at least compared to the t2i.

The main thing for me, as a Canon SLR dinosaur, the button layout and interface on the rebel kinda drives me nuts. But I don't find this to be a problem with people who are new to Canon SLR bodies.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:19 am

Might want to check out the recently announce t4i as well - not a huge change over the previous ones but it does look to have improved low-light capabilities.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks because one of the big attractions I have to the 7D is its low light capabilities.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:12 pm