It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:07 am

Union Budgeting Question 

Post Union Budgeting Question
For those that have made/worked on the larger features, maybe you can answer this one for me.

If you make a movie under $100,000 you can afford a SAG actor/star at a minimum of $100.00/day. What if your budget is planned/starts at $100,000 but then eventually goes over that? What if your shooting budget remains at $100,000 but marketing, post-production costs bring the total budget over? In either of these instances, are you now owed your SAG performer more money?

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:21 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Union Budgeting Question
You're talking about Ultra Low Budget, which is $200,000 and under. If your budget goes over that threshold, putting you into "Low Budget Modified" ($200,001-$650,000), you're on the hook, because you contracted with SAG at $200,000. In Low Budget Modified, SAG actors are paid $212/day I believe. Huge difference between the two brackets.

Here's more info: http://www.sag.org/ultra-low-budget-agreement. I had this stuff all memorized for a while, will have to catch up on it soon.

That said, though, if you go over by a small amount, just be up front with SAG. I hear they're easy to work with on small budgets like this, and they are ultimately just interested in getting work for their members. If your budget goes to $210,000, and you'll get broken for compensating all the extra cash, I imagine they'd work with you, maybe just scale down the compensation. When you're talking $15M vs. $30M, they're not so easygoing.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:10 pm
Profile WWW