It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:31 pm

DSLR or Camcorder for a begginer filmmaker 

Post DSLR or Camcorder for a begginer filmmaker
Hello,

Im saving some cash to buy my first camera. I know nothing about camera work myself. I've worked as an actor before but now i want to move on into Directing and scriptwriting.

I was saving for a DSLR BUT a Friend, who's a filmmaker himself, told me that isn't necesary for me to get a DSLR yet since that isn't really a camera for filmmaking and needs a lot more investment in features and knowledge to make it work. He told me to get a regular, and cheaper, camcorder because those are meant to use to record moving images, are easier to handle and since my main objective is to be a Director, i should worry more on frames, camera moving and working with actors and later when im into cinematography and know more, i can get the DSLR for better image.

do you think he's right about that advice? or should i go forward with the DSLR buy?

thanks

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Post Re: DSLR or Camcorder for a begginer filmmaker
It depends on your main objective. If you want to shoot a quality film with great picture quality then for a limited budget a DSLR is the way to go. They are not easy to operate (as your friend rightly noted, they are not designed for film specifically) but can be operated well with practice. For this approach though, you will need a lot of time and practice. There will be frustrations but it will be worth it.

If you are more concerned about gaining experience, having fun and trying out various things, I would invest in a cheaper camcorder (still HD though) that will be a lot easier to operate than a DSLR. This is how I started out, and then after a couple of years, moved onto the DSLR.

Hope this helps.

YouTube Page

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:41 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks. I really need advices for this. I may get that DSRL later when i can handle the basic stuff.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:47 pm

I'm always torn on this, it really comes down to your specific interest. 70-80% of what I know about cinematography comes from learning to shoot stills on an SLR, so I've always advocated that as a starting point - but if your goal isn't primarily to become a cinematographer then there's a lot of technical stuff you're going to have to learn first just to get a decent image out of a DSLR. Since you're more interested in directing I think your friend is right - you'll be better off with a decent camcorder which will let you focus on the stuff you want to learn rather than technical issues. If you later decide you really like directing and want to take your work in to the next level you may find that it's better to team up with someone who has a DSLR and has put the time in to really learn cinematography.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:24 pm