It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:13 am

So where are all the Fight Choreography tutorials?? 

Post So where are all the Fight Choreography tutorials??
Hello,

i've been searching all over this forums looking for videos about how to choreograph and shoot a fight scene and just can't find them.

Can anyone tell me where there are?
thanks.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Post Re: So where are all the Fight Choreography tutorials??
I have actually never seen a video about that kind of stuff, except Jackie Chan's "My Stunts".

I believe it's something you have to learn by doing. And also study the type of fight scenes you want to emulate. Play them over and over and think about the camera angle and what moves look good from that angle.

A good way to start would be to shoot a basic good ol' American western bar fight; one guy hits the other, then the other guy hits back, and they take turns hitting each other. With just two basic camera angles.

Make sure to always repeat the last move from the previous angle in the next angle, so your movement flows better into the next attack. It will look very obvious when cutting together two clips if you didn't repeat the last move in the new angle. I think it's called "cutting in movement", and it applies not just to fight scenes but to every type of scene when you cut to a new angle. Always repeat the last movement, it makes editing a whole lot easier! :-D

And speaking of editing, make sure to edit very tight. Cut away as much as possible. Everyone's first couple of fight scene are poorly edited. You need to keep the flow of the fight up, and therefore you most likely will have to cut in the middle of an attack to a new angle, and then you'll be very glad you repeated the last move from the previous angle.

I myself haven't done a fight scene I'm proud of, so listening to me is like having a fat coach who can't do the things he himself teaches. I really recommend watching "My Stunts", but the best way to learn is by going out and film, film, and film some more! Then edit, and edit, and publish and get instant constructive critique from indie action filmmakers from all over the world! :-D

Oh, and by the way, Mr. Noble did a Hong Kong handwork showcase that I recommend you watch for choreo reasons:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:00 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for the video. I remember watching it long time ago in youtube and for some reason, i couldn't find it again.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:31 am

I don't actually make films myself, but people usually learn this sort of thing by just getting out there and trying. Then posting their stuff online and getting feedback. It may take a little while for people to get around to it, but you'll usually get some pointers if you put a link to your work in Independent Alley.

The board's a bit less critical these days then it has been in the past, so I wouldn't be too worried about posting your work. We reserve most of the really harsh critiques for professionals who ought to know better :-)

John Kreng wrote a book called "Fight Choreography: The Art of Non-Verbal Dialogue" a few years back that looks pretty interesting. I haven't had a chance to read through it yet, just glanced over the table of contents. You may find some useful hints there, if you're really after a tutorial type guide.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:36 am
Site Admin

I don't trust anyone who claims they can teach fight choreography. It's pure snake oil.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:17 am
Profile WWW

Punch wrote:
John Kreng wrote a book called "Fight Choreography: The Art of Non-Verbal Dialogue" a few years back that looks pretty interesting. I haven't had a chance to read through it yet, just glanced over the table of contents. You may find some useful hints there, if you're really after a tutorial type guide.

Kreng's book wasn't great, honestly. Some parts of it are interesting, but you're not gonna come away from reading it with any more knowledge of how to put together an action scene on film.

also he has this idea that western action movies don't use action to move their plot along while eastern ones do, which is completely insane. i mean, that's not like a thing that invalidates everything in the book or anything but it's just so far from the truth and yet he keeps harping on it and it drove me nuts

probably if youre serious about learning to choreograph action the best course of action is to just keep shooting stuff and letting the independent alley folks critique it all, they're good with feedback

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:50 am

Emulation is a good way to start. Keep it simple and be prepared that your choreography might look terrible, but that's just part of the learning process.

The fights I'veworked on have all been modest but im improving all the time. Hopefully

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:37 pm
Profile WWW

If you're looking for tutorials and you really don't have much to start with, I recommend seeing Jackie Chan's "My Stunts" and the Behind the Scenes of "Ultimate Fights" where James Lew does some of the basic stunt fighting.

There are a few clips on here that may be helpful, even though they are not tutorials- things like the Heromakers video you posted or this thread full of behind the scenes videos
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2842&hilit=behind+the+scenes

As many people have mentioned, the best thing is to learn by doing. I would add a few more things to that, though. Choreograph and make some fight scenes, then share them with people- LOTS OF PEOPLE. Share them with your friends, share them with your mom who will love it no matter what, share it with people who will say "It's not as good as Bruce Lee", and probably most importantly share it with people that have made WAY better stuff than you, but are willing to give you tips & advice. You don't have to agree with everyone's opinion, but get outside opinions. I can name a number of people who shoot stuff & make the same mistakes all the time because they only use their own opinion to move forward and improve. Eventually, their work becomes stagnant.

Another thing while you choreograph and film your fights, is try to meet other people who do the same thing & get involved with them. It doesn't matter if you don't agree, but you will learn different ways to do things (probably some better & some worse). Working with other people is a fantastic way to learn. Even if you're just in charge of ordering lunch or holding a reflector, if it allows you to watch someone else's work and especially if it allows you to ask them questions at the end of the day about why they shot it this way or picked those movements, that opportunity is very valuable.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:47 pm

I might make a series on the breakdown of different styles of fight scenes. Stay tuned.. http://youtube.com/urbanfisttv

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:28 pm
Profile WWW

1.Film and Edit.
2.Share and receive criticism. Ask A LOT of questions if needed.
3.Take criticism that will benefit you the most. Throw away ones that might not benefit you.
4.Film again.
5.Repeat steps 1-5 :)

I started when I was 16ish in my own little shell and didn't really go anywhere until I posted stuff here in the Independent Alley when I was 17. There's always room for criticism so it's always a learning process to me.

Good luck!

http://www.vimeo.com/ericnguyen
http://www.facebook.com/lunarstunts

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:51 am
Profile WWW