It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:28 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Recently Played Video Game thread 
Site Admin

Post Re: Recently Played Video Game thread
Other free games on PS+ right now:

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - 4/5, super long levels but solid gameplay

Bloodrayne the platformer version

Borderlands

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:15 pm
Profile WWW

JET SET RADIO
4.5/5
Never got the chance to play this til it hit PSN in HD. What can I say? This game shares a soul with Beat Down Boogie, and I love it. With dated mechanics, I did run into some frustrating bits - mostly trying to tag enemy skaters - but there's a method to the madness, and once you figure it out it's not so bad.

BORDERLANDS 2
4/5
Aside from keeping the um "unique" driving mechanic, this game filled in the missing blanks of the original. There's a town, the characters are more interesting. The missions have an interesting humorous twist. It's not as deep and charming as Fallout 3, but it's a lot better than the bland central hub in Rage.
I could also see it being a very divisive game due to the humor. It's very internet-generation geeky offhand humor, and people tend to like it or hate it. I've enjoyed it.

TOKYO JUNGLE
4/5
This is one I recommend for anyone that likes unique games from Japan. It's completely ridiculous. You start as a Pomeranian in post-apocalyptic Tokyo, and progress by dodging predators, stalking prey, mating, and then carrying on the story with your offspring, which - if you play the game well - will inherit bonus stats. You unlock a roster of dozens of other animals by finding and defeating the boss of that species. It's bit like an arcade-y MGS for animals. Each time you play, the city will have random events and groupings of animals in many of the neighborhoods, and as you progress more dangerous animals appear (like large predators from the zoo and even dinosaurs).
It's a great game to get if you have a free weekend or night and want to try something different.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:19 pm
Site Admin

I played Borderlands for 20 minutes and realized you had to physically pick up all the ammo on the ground. The game felt too action-heavy to deal with that and I uninstalled it. Yay for free!

Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:42 pm
Profile WWW

ChuChu Rocket! - Dreamcast

Simple but pretty hard Lemmings-type puzzle game where you lead mice to the goal, avoiding cats and holes. Gets very repetitive after a while since there's only one music track and the graphics are almost the same for every stage.

2/5

Metal Gear - Xbox 360

Played this as part of the MGSHD Collection. So much stuff from this game was reused ten years later in Metal Gear Solid (which I have completed over 10 times) that it felt like playing MGS in 2D. There were some pretty annoying things in this game though, for example when you open doors you need to equip the right keycard (not like in MGS where you always used the latest) and there's like 8 cards and there's no telling which one to use. A lot of times you have to find breakable walls so you run around and punch every wall until you find one. The radio contacts are retarded, especially Big Boss, and it's pretty hard to shoot people. Had some fun with it though.

2/5

Hitman: Contracts - PC

Kind of like a remake of the first game, but with half of the levels being new. Most of the remade levels are worse than the original ones, but I liked the Godfather-inspired fish restaurant level more in this and the Rotterdam harbour level was a lot better. The new levels are varied and good. I think this is my fifth playthrough.

4/5

Die by the Sword - PC

Fun and unique sword slasher where you can slash off limbs from your enemies. Controls are pretty hard to master so I pretty much waved my sword back and forth hoping to hit any monsters in my way. The level design is pretty good, but everything takes place inside caves so it's a little repetitive.

3/5

Die by the Sword: Limb from Limb - PC

An expansion without story or cutscenes, only new maps and some new monsters. Feels kind of cheap, as the levels aren't nearly as good as in the original quest.

2/5

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:17 pm
Profile WWW

THE UNFINISHED SWAN (PSN)

If you dig chilled-out pretty art games, then I think you'll like this. It's a very laid-back game that focuses on exploration with some simple puzzle solving. My favorite part is the first 3 levels, during which the world is completely white and void of shadow. The only way to navigate is to toss splattery globs of black paint around to create contrast in the level around you.

It's a short game. I wouldn't mind 3 more levels. It has a nice philosophical twist at the end, though it didn't stir me emotionally as much as Journey.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:21 pm

MediEvil - PlayStation

Fun and atmospheric zombie slasher. Clunky controls though and the game is a little too long for its own best.

2/5

Driver - PlayStation

Set in the 70's with a funky soundtrack that really sets the mood for all the cool car chases that take place in this game. The controls are great and it really feels like you have control over your car. Graphics are kind of outdated though, with lots of texture cracks, and the draw distance isn't the best, but you still see what's going on. The last mission in the game was pretty hard, but all missions up to that were easy.

4/5

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - Xbox 360

Everything from the first one is improved. Very fun and exciting at times, with more varying environments and better music. I didn't understand how you were supposed to figure out that you had to smoke before jumping off the balcony with the paraglider though. I don't like cryptic shit like that.

3/5

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:57 am
Profile WWW

Trials HD - Xbox 360

Vroom! Vrooom!! Vroooom!!! Great stuff!

4/5

Trials Evolution - Xbox 360

Almost the same as Trials HD, but also bigger and better in every way. It's nice to finally have outdoor tracks.

5/5

Driver 2 - PlayStation

Not as good as the first. Starts off pretty boring in a poor Chicago, but gradually gets better as you get to Las Vegas and Rio de Janeiro. It's a lot harder than the first, especially when the timer gets set at random during some missions.

I remember being so stoked reading about how the roads had turns (not just 90 degree turns, but real curves) back in 2000 and that you could get out of the car. A year later GTA III came out and made everything obsolete.

3/5

Counter-Strike: Condition Zero - PC

Played through the single player campaign "Deleted Scenes". Some of the missions were really fun, and some not so fun. Dosen't feel like a quick cash-in as some people say, it's a good single player FPS, even though it's primarily a multiplayer game.

3/5

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX - PlayStation

Without a doubt the best BMX game I've ever played. They could have made the music track not repeat every time you restart the level though. I think they fixed that in the Dreamcast version.

5/5

Grind Session - PlayStation

1. Tony Hawk 2
2. Tony Hawk 3
3. Tony Hawk
4. Grind Session <--- Fourth best on the PlayStation. Burnside level not as good as Tony's.
5. Tony Hawk 4
6. Thrasher
7. Street Skater 2
8. Street Skater
9. MTV Skateboarding

3/5

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:09 pm
Profile WWW

Hitman: Absolution - Xbox 360

Just your average cover shooter. Like a mix between Kane and Lynch and Splinter Cell: Conviction. Without a doubt the worst game in the series.

2/5

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:05 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for the warning.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:50 pm

X-COM

I never played the original, but I really enjoy this game. The turn-based strategy/RPG gameplay is familiar to me, but the rest is new to me. As you go on self-contained missions with your selected team members (to kill aliens, rescue hostages, diffuse bombs, etc) you raise money to spend on your base. You can develop new technology, launch satellites to keep track of the alien forces, create an air force, etc. Some of it improves your soldiers performance in the field - some of it has an overall effect on global defense.

If one of your soldiers dies in the field it's permanent. You can hire new soldiers, but they start as rookies. Your soldiers level up and acquire special skills through battle.

It took me a while to get a grip of this game, but it was fun during the process. I wanted to play without losing any soldiers or country's allegiance/support. I had to start the game over several times to figure out the order of weapon/facilities/defense construction required to achieve this.

9/10.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:14 pm

Ni No Kuni........yeaaahhhhhhh........I'm diggin it.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:39 am

So...I think it would take to long too do a proper review of Ni No Kuni (Wrath of the White Witch) a game developed by Level 5 (Dragon Quest 8) and designed by Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc).

So here a list of cool things about it:

1) Beautiful graphics and animation; feels like you are in a Miyazaki film, even when controlling the character.

2) Deep, with a gentle learning curve. There's alchemy, spells, "pokemon-collecting," various currency systems...basically everything that has worked in previous-gen games. But NNK introduces new mechanics at a laid-back pace that is tied-in to the story.

3) You can upgrade your method of travel. I'm a big fan of JRPG's that show you unreachable areas that you can later access by boat or flying machine.

4) Pokemon-inspired battle system. You can fight using your human party, which mostly cast spells. OR you can capture monsters in the wild and use them to fight your battles. They are upgradable. During fights you can switch between the human and "pokemon" monsters on the fly. You can store up to 400 monsters, and each human can bring 3 into battle.

5) Great creative story, with good morals. I know that last part sounds weird, but it's a Studio Ghibli world, so you get a lot of unique fables with simple life lessons intact. The voice acting is great, though it's mostly reserved for cutscenes.

Some NOT-SO-COOL things:

1) Running around the world can take a while, being a traditional JRPG at the core. If you do all the side quests, there's a fair amount of running through towns, and back and forth between them. Usain Bolt, your wizard is not. But at least the scenery is beautiful. Eventually you get a travel spell which allows you to teleport to places you've already been.

20) The game holds your hand. Some of the depth is spoiled by your sidekick, who often explains everything to you instead of letting you research the problems and solutions. This probably saves 20 hours of talking to random townsfolk and reading though your Wizard's Companion...but often makes the game feel like the training wheels are on. However, I've read that some hints and map cues can be turned off in the UI controls.

-- -- --

This will be the only JRPG of this console generation that I finish, and I think it's safe to say it's the BEST JRPG on consoles of this generation. Then again it might be safe to say that there were only a few decent console JRPG's this generation at all, and the others were on the Wii.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:28 pm

Resident Evil 6 - Xbox 360

Boring, repetitive and way too long. Can't help but to enjoy the endless stomping of enemies though.

2/5

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - Xbox 360

Already completed several times on PC, but it's a great game so a couple of playthroughs on the 360 was great fun, with achievements and all. The only bad thing is that you can't turn off auto-aim.

5/5

Hitman: Contracts - Xbox 360

Got Silent Assassin on all levels. Great fun.

5/5

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:18 pm
Profile WWW

Super Bomberman 5 - SNES

Played it through in co-op; bombtastic!

4/5

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:42 pm
Profile WWW

Bioshock Infinite
(SPOILER ALERT)
A good game, and I really enjoyed the combat. It left me craving some bigger wilder battles, so maybe I'll luck out with DLC. The story was interesting...but I kinda wish it was more of a straight story. I'm not a big fan of this type of ending - it's a bit film school-ish to me.....but for what it was, they really polished it and committed, so it was a positive experience.
4/5

Psychonauts

I'm only a couple days into this xBox/ps2-era Tim Schafer game, but I'm already blown away. It will probably go on my list of the best videogames, period. It's a platforming adventure that had elements from Inception, Mario Galaxy, and Pixar before 2 of those 3 things even existed. It's a cult classic so maybe it was ahead of it's time or just too quirky. It's hard for me to believe it's as old as it is. I've had to turn to Youtube a couple times to figure out bits (I'm usually over-thinking it) but that hasn't interfered with my enjoyment.
so far...5/5

Malicious

I will probably never finish this or rate it...only because it's not my type of game perse and I don't have much time to play...but it was free on PSN+ yesterday, and it has a really nice art style and the brawling feels good. Maybe if I have more downtime in the future I can figure out it's strategy.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:12 pm

Thief: The Dark Project - PC

Great atmosphere, music, and level design; although some levels are a little too empty. I love that you have the ability to climb walls. The enemies are fun to listen to, and I like that there are monsters as well as humans.

:D

5/5

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:27 pm
Profile WWW

Unreal - PC

Had some good fun with this golden era FPS. The game is a little too long and some of the levels are uneven in quality, otherwise this would have been up there with the likes of Duke Nukem 3D, Half-Life and Deus Ex.

3/5

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8