It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:03 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Recently Played Video Game thread 
Site Admin

Post Re: Recently Played Video Game thread
SMW1 is high up there on my list too

Altered Beast - XBLA

Sluggish controls, feels cheaper than the Genesis version, as many ports to XBLA do. 2/5

Sonic CD - XBLX/PS3

A conversion of the best (imo) Sonic game of all time... except with a different soundtrack, which was also the best Sonic soundtrack of all time. I can't bring myself to play it. For having past/present/future versions of every level, and going widescreen (!), 3/5 for a game without sound.

Sword & Sworcery - iPad/iPhone

Great kickback to point and click adventures. Feels like a modern Quest for Glory retelling, with likable characters and lots of strangeness. Good challenge too, and the graphics are on-point. While magic is never my cup of tea in a game, I can still say that S&S is as good as it gets for the modern age. I just wonder why they went with this strange "EP" and turntable theme, almost took me out of it, but didn't :D 5/5

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:24 pm
Profile WWW

Skyward Sword.

River City Ransom...such a fun game.

SMB 3DS.

Been really neglecting the games as of late...

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm a big Altered Beast Fan. The conversion on the Sonic ultimate Genesis Collection seemed pretty spot on from what I remember. They also have the Arcade version which is awesome.

The version of Sonic CD I played had the American soundtrack which I thought was great. I have heard the Japanese one is amazing though, I assume this is the one you are referring too? But, I thought this release had the option of both soundtracks? I'm sure I saw it advertised as such.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:17 pm

Sonic 4 Episode I - Xbox 360

This is a strange game. I don't like the graphics at all. I thought it would have been better if they went for the same pixel look as Sonic & Knuckles or even vector art but these graphics are just not nice to me. Sonic also accelerates really slow. They should have just used the same engine from Sonic & Knuckles it was perfect. That been said the music is very good and the level design is inspired in parts but the levels are too long and you initially die lots due to bad, unresponsive controls rather than lack of skill. The boss fights are way too easy and are just emulations of previous bosses as are the levels. Although the last boss is pretty cool and surprising and also puts up a decent challenge. I just don't know if I liked the game or not, parts I did, parts i didn't.... it's just.... meh

3/5

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:23 pm
Site Admin

If it's got both soundtracks that'd be great, I'll have to dig

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:19 pm
Profile WWW

Aliens vs Predator - Windows/PC (2010)

One thing I've come to appreciate more now is to judge by myself and just forget critics. It took me almost two years until I decided to finally play it and see the negativities it's getting. Yeah, the game style is different for sure (people expect same premises too much these days) but it delivers. Graphics, controls, weapons, levels, the story was a new experience but greatly fun to go through as I got used to everything. One downside though is that the whole game is quite short. Even AVP2 wasn't this short-lasting.

8/10

Last edited by DiP on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:36 am

Cursed Mountain - Wii (2009)

Not a bad Wii game. The backdrop makes a refreshing change. The game runs at a snail's pace though but it's kinda ok. The controls can be a little fiddly and more variety in the enemies would have been nice

3/5

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:03 pm

A couple days ago I finally finished Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, the third entry in the series, after an inordinately long period of gameplay to reach 100% completion (fucking stealth missions). That just leaves the latest installment until I'm caught up with the series, but I'm going to put the AC games down for a while and switch things up to avoid getting burned out on too much of the same gameplay style. Next up is a succession of classic titles I've been far too long in getting around to, starting with Bioshock.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:55 pm
Site Admin

AC2 had too much to do, so I stopped playing it. Same with Oblivion. I need smaller games, I'm a complete-ist so I get discouraged. Which is why I dig the indie games.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:33 am
Profile WWW

Stuntman - PlayStation 2

Like Driver, except you're a stunt driver who has to do long and difficult takes. It gets pretty frustrating at times because it feels like the vehicles often lose control when you jump, and it's a pretty hard game.

3/5

Splinter Cell - PC

Feels kind of stiff, and it's very annoying to have to hide almost all of the bodies on half the levels in the game. The shooting is unprecise and it gets pretty uncomfortable when you trigger the Max Payne inspired gunfights. Stealth is the way to go, but it dosen't work as well as in Hitman or Metal Gear Solid 2; it's more like Abe's Oddysee were you hide in the shadows.

2/5

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - SNES

A lot easier than the first, but still fun and happy. The Yoshis are a little harder to control than Mario, but they can fly and shoot. Levels are well designed.

3/5

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:52 am
Profile WWW

I dunno if I said this, but I played
Sonic Generations a while back and it was GOOD! Nice surprise!

Played the Simpsons Arcade last night. Forgot how short it was. Charming game.

After Mario Warfare Ep 1 I'm planning on getting the Jak and Daxter HD collection, maybe the MGS collection, too.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:08 am

SkullMonkeys - PlayStation

A fun claymation platformer that has a both special and sometimes annoying soundtrack.

3/5

Pandemonium! - PlayStation

Decent platformer that unfortunately gets more and more irritating the further you come because of the bad controls.

2/5

The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse - SNES

Really cool graphics, and the bosses in the game are surprisingly well made. Levels are good, controls are good, and the music is good. There is no save or password feature though so the game isn't very long.

3/5

Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:50 am
Profile WWW

Tomb Raider - PlayStation

A cool 3D action/platformer that has large and well though out levels. I didn't expect to be facing dinosaurs, humans, and monster-like beings, which was a bit scary, but I knew about the tigers, wolfs, and bears. There are a little too many enemies on some levels and sometimes it feels like you're wiping out all the endangered species.

Graphics are a bit dated, with lots of texture cracks and noticeable draw distance shortage in big spaces. The controls are somewhat hard to get used to, especially in combat, but every time you make that perfect jump you feel the satisfaction.

3/5

Bayonetta - Xbox 360

Like a successor to Devil May Cry, but with more humor and craziness. Wouldn't mind a sequel.

3/5

Katamari Damacy - PlayStation 2

Happy fun roll-everything-up game with cool graphics and a nice soundtrack. Could have been some more levels though.

3/5

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:24 am
Profile WWW

Journey - PSN
Awesome and really pretty. An artsy experience for sure, but one that I will play a few times. Really interesting multiplayer element: another player on their "journey" might cross your path, and working together can make things easier but it's not necessary - however, there's no verbal communication. You just choose to journey together or not. Great payoff at the end.

9/10

Sly Cooper HD - (Free on PSN+)
Never played these the first time around and it seems I missed out. Only a few levels in, but it's one of the best platfromers I've played. And it looks stunning in HD.

9/10

Jak and Daxter HD Collection
Playing this collection here and there when I get a few minutes. Another great platforming franchise. The first is definitive platform adventure/exploration. The second introduces a sandbox element that feels inspired by GTA3.

8/10

Mass Effect 3.
Stupid ending. Not just the concept which was a sudden departure from the game's motifs...but the way the ending concept was carried out was just poor. Subpar cinematics and action. The ending soured the franchise for me. First 2/3rds is pretty good, but not as good as ME2 which I'd give a perfect score.

6.5/10

Gotham City Imposters
$15 dollar multiplayer game with great cartoony design and whacky powerups, somewhat like team fortress. Play as a hooligan Joker ganster, or a knuckleheaded batman wannabe. If you have XBLA Gold, probably the best platform due to earlier free level and weapon DLC. But also runs great on PS3.

9.5/10

Last edited by micah9 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:04 pm
Site Admin

Bought Journey just based on what you said. Worth every penny. I love really well done short games.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:45 am
Profile WWW

Glad you liked it!

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Yakuza 3 - Got it cheap and it takes a lot of time. The game isn't bad but the combat is pretty easy and there is a ton of filler. The story line is pretty interesting.

Fist of the North Star - I just installed it, waiting til I finish Yakuza 3 til I get into it.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:34 pm
Site Admin

I've played three of the Yakuza games and I've never been sold on any of them. It's just a cheap knock-off of Shenmue, except it's the same company! I think someone got jealous of Yu Suzuki's fame and tried to one-up him, but failed to make any improvement. Plus who gives a shit about some gangster. Gimme Ryo avenging his dad's death any day of the week. Once you get the gamer with the story, the rest falls in easily. Plus Yu's fighting system is like a direct port of the VF series. The Yakuza system just feels dumbed down by comparison.

And I swear, if Shenmue had been released on PS3 in 2010 instead of DC in 1999, critics would have liked it more, yet they shat on it for being less adrenaline-pumped than whatever else was coming out at the time. It was way ahead of its time. Rant over.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:24 pm
Profile WWW

I wish they would re-do Shenmue and finish the story off. Releasing the 2nd part on the xbox was stupid without the first.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:14 pm

There are pretty strong rumours about that indicate HD re-releases of Shenmue 1 & 2 are imminent (and that development is possibly already finished).

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:04 am
Site Admin

I hope they're subbed. I try not to be a subtitle snob but the English track in Shenmue 2 is Miramax-style garbage.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:54 pm
Profile WWW

Mega Man X - PlayStation 2

At first I thought it would be impossible to beat, but I slowly got the hang of it and found upgrades that made it easier. After you complete the first eight levels and bosses you have to play four more levels with all the previous bosses in them, plus five more bosses, and you can't save any more either (which the game doesn't tell you for some stupid reason.)

The game got pretty annoying, but the controls, music, and graphics were good.

2/5

Magical Quest 2 starring Mickey and Minnie - SNES

A lot easier and shorter than the first, and the first one was quite short and easy.

2/5

Magical Quest 3 starring Mickey and Donald - SNES

More shortness and easiness. This game was only released in Japan, so I played it with a converter. The only words I could understand were "Game completed."

2/5

Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

The first Magical Quest was utterly impossible. There are YouTube videos dedicated to how difficult that stupid game was.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:37 pm
Profile WWW

I don't know how serious you are (sarcasm detector is currently broken), but Magical Quest wasn't that hard. Rayman on the other hand, that's a freakin' impossible game!

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

... Maybe we were playing two different games. Or I just suck. Rayman was a tough one, don't think I ever beat it. Great game! They just re-released the third one in HD on PS3, but it's the 3D game.

There's a new Rayman Origins game that looks good:

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next