It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:13 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Recently Played Video Game thread 

Post Re: Recently Played Video Game thread
Yeah, I played the demo of Origins, and it seems to be pretty good. First Rayman is good; second one as well. Rayman 3 is the worst of the series.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Farcry 2 - Been at this for weeks. I play it for an hour at a time and it always excites. It's the ideal GTA-style game. 5/5

Renegade Ops - Cheap for PS+ right now, fun arcade Return Fire-style game that's fast-paced and simple in the usual Sega fashion. Controls are a pain in the ass though, and you get shot to shit around every corner, yet somehow always manage to stay alive. 3/5

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:17 pm
Profile WWW

I've been catching up on some recent classics that I've skimmed over while waiting for some of this year's more anticipated new releases. Just finished playing Bioshock for the first time, which took some time to get used to but was one of the most stylistically unique and astonishing games I've ever played. The visual design of Rapture and all it's architectural characteristics (internal and external) coupled with a vintage soundtrack eerily out of place among the carnage and a basic but well-developed story allow the player to really become immersed (pun intended) in the deep sea mystery and mayhem. A whole lot of fun and a surprising amount of replay value to experiment with different plasmids and power combinations.

Right after that I began Batman: Arkham Asylum and am maybe an hour in. I'm having a little difficulty adjusting to the controls right after putting over twenty hours into a FPS, and especially coming off of a replay streak of the Assassin's Creed games which feature a very customized third-person control scheme, but so far I've been wowed by the graphics and design of Arkham and Gotham and the looks they chose for key characters, which is the perfect blending of comic book color and the kind of graphic realism that's so fashionable these days. Combat is a lot of fun and open-ended but plays a little loosely. I like the upgrade system and appreciate that, unlike Bioshock, I don't have to dig around in every last crate and desk drawer to scavenge for valuable items and can just focus on appreciating the aesthetics of the game and afflicting bad guys with internal bleeding. Very different, mature appraoch to comic book storytelling in video games and makes me eager to play the long-awaited sequel.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Loved Arkham Asylum. It turned me back into a gamer. It has my favourite implementation of combat in a game, it's a really great system once you start working on your combos.

I finished playing Arkham City recently. It's a really good game that builds on Asylum's solid foundation. Unfortunately it felt to me like they tried to cram too much in.

Arkham Asylum felt like a perfectly tight game; the sort of game that you couldn't reduce any further without diminishing the experience. Arkham City on the other hand felt like it could have been edited down to tighten the focus and make it truly great.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:11 pm

I quit Bioshock fairly early in. I loved the storytelling and the atmosphere but the gameplay just felt really clunky and hollow. Once I realized that death was barely a setback at all, all the encounters with enemies were robbed of the pseudo-horror tension that the atmosphere had built up and all that was left was some not-very-satisfying first person shooting. I was genuinely curious to see where the story went but the gameplay just bored me to death. I was genuinely surprised that I didn't love a game where I could hit objectivists with a wrench, but there ya go

I really liked the exploration and stealth in Arkham Asylum, but I found the combat more fun to watch than to play. That "button-mash-or-counter" style of combat that's coming into vogue these days really bothers me, since I prefer to have more direct control over my character's actions. The string of attacks that Batman does pretty much of his own accord, and the sort of randomized auto-takedown counters, both hew dangerously close to the game playing itself for my liking. I also thought that, ironically enough for something that tried so hard to be "gritty" or whatevs, the combination of the photorealistic textures with the stylized neon lighting was pretty reminiscent of Joel Schumacher's Batman flicks.

The "predator mode" stuff could be a little clumsy sometimes, but it offered some really fun wish-fulfillment opportunities. Really felt like being Batman.

I haven't played Arkham City yet, I'm kind of hoping Steam will have a big ol' sale on it this summer or something.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:18 am

I attribute my love of Bioshock to the fact that I am, by no means, a die-hard gamer, or even a considerably serious one. Most video gaming is to me a diversion, and I tend to be particularly unskilled when it comes to shooters and games that require more strategization, like customing the Plasmids in Bioshock, so I could appreciate the fact that the gameplay was more or less stripped down to the point where less experienced gamers could play through and enjoy the environments, weapons, and particularly the story, which was no doubt the centerpiece of the game.

I don't know enough to be able to discern the differences in gameplay mechanics in most games of the same genre, but I know a good story when I see one, and Bioshock is a prime example of the kind of well-conceived, immersive plot that could only be realized in this medium.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:22 pm

Arkham City was awesome - especially if you take your time and collect the riddler secrets and side missions alongside the main plot. I raced through the story mode first time round and thought it a bit shallow and anti-climactic but took my time second playthrough and it was fantastic - probably the best or at least my favourite open world game same since GTA3.

Did Prince of persia forgotten sands on wii. A completely different game from the xbox and ps3 versions. Really ingenious gameplay with excellent platforming. Wish they'd do a HD port for PS3 -I'd buy Move just for this.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:08 am

Otogi: Myth of Demons - Xbox

Fun slasher, but a little too much level grinding needed.

3/5

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis - PC

A Russian general invades some civilian islands in Eastern Europe during 1985. NATO is sent in to take care of the situation. It all plays like a Tom Clancy novel. First you get to play as a soldier, then a tank commander, then a pilot, and lastly as a black op. It is kind of similar to Ghost Recon in that you get to lead a squad of soldiers and command them what to do, and that you can die of just one shot. The game is very buggy, but that's probably because of the huge maps with day and night cycle, all the guys with their somewhat advanced A.I. and all vehicles. Some missions are really hard, but if you try and try again (sometimes several hours) you'll make it at last.

4/5

Operation Flashpoint: Red Hammer - PC

An expansion developed by Codemasters (publisher of the original) in which you play as one of the Russians. The missions aren't that good and the story is so-so. Feels very rushed.

2/5

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance - PC

A little better than the original campaign. This time you are Victor Troska, an ex special forces guy living peacefully on the island of Nogova when the Russians suddenly attack. You reluctantly join the resistance and become their leader because of your special forces experience. At first you raid convoys to get weapons, then you get a hold of tanks and stuff. An old friend from the American special forces even shows up to help you. The voice acting is pretty good and the main character sounds like Pierce Brosnan, which is cool.

4/5

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:06 pm
Profile WWW

FEZ - cute style, pretty music. But I'm stumped after a bit. Probably like Braid - fun to play the first 80%, then it's too smart for me, haha. Recommended, if even just for the style/music.

TRIALS EVOLUTION - a neat simple physics-based motocross-stunt game. Score is determined by amount of falls and time to completion. I wish it was determined more by tricks. I guess it's more about "skillful challenge" but I'd rather it be more about "whacky fun."

WITCHER 2 on 360 - a great game, but the story is an uninterrupted sequel to the first, which I didn't play. Right away there's a ton of lore and names and relationships without an introduction. Despite this, it was a lush world with great, nuanced characters. And it gives you a lot of impactful decisions. It's what I wished Dragon Age was more like.

Thu May 03, 2012 4:03 pm
Site Admin

Castlevania Symphony of the Night is free on PS+ this month, fyi. Best sidescroller ever

Mon May 07, 2012 8:04 pm
Profile WWW

Fallout - PC
I started off thinking "this is pretty old and clunky, but I'll give it a go". Three weeks later I had to uninstall it because it became a huge time sink. I wasn't getting any work done, if I sat down at my computer I played Fallout.

The real appeal to the game is the freedom of choice it offers. You really feel like you're in control of the experience in a way that I've never really experienced in any other game.

5/5

Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse - PC
I'm a big fan of Sam & Max. I've read/watched/played everything they've been in so I was looking forward to getting some time to play through their latest game.

The writing is OK. The story is interesting enough, but there aren't many genuinely funny moments. There's also basically no challenge to the game and I found the whole experience kind of dull. Ultimately, I think I would have actually preferred to watch an edited-down movie and skipped the interactivity.

Sam's film-noir style questioning a the beginning of "They Stole Max's Brain!" was probably the highlight of the series for me, but it's over pretty quickly.

The interface is the same horrible half direct, half point-and-click system that TellTale have used for a while now, and it's not getting any better.

The game is at its best when all of the hotspots are on the screen and you can just point-and-click your way around. The camera cuts usually make the click-and-drag controls useless. Reverting to the keyboard is frustrating for me because I keep mine in a drawer out of the way when I'm playing games.

Overall I was just kind of bored and disappointed with the game. It’s a bit clunky, a bit buggy and the writing isn’t sharp enough to save it. This has pretty much been my experience with all of TellTale's games. The Devil's Playhouse is probably the last one I'll be buying.

2.5/5

Wed May 09, 2012 2:40 am

Max Payne 3
really good. i've written a longer review elsewhere but what it boils down to is it's a very different game from the Remedy-developed entries, but not a worse one by any means. really impressive animations, punchy john woo-style action with some of the best-sounding gunshots and most satisfying bullet hits in any shooter i've ever played, and a well-presented lead character elevate the mediocre story to something legitimately engaging. the last two levels are sort of trash, the boss fights are bullshit, and the game squanders its one in-game use of the fantastic song Health wrote for it on a really dull firefight

surprisngly, the multiplayer is a lot of fun too and bullet-time is implemented well

solid 8/10 game, highly recommended

Sat May 19, 2012 1:20 am

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories - PlayStation 2

Like Vice City, but a little less detailed because of it being a port from the PSP. It takes place a couple of years before Vice City and you play as Lance's brother who inevitably becomes a gangster. Soundtrack is not as good as Vice City's, and the story is not as exciting, but it's still GTA.

4/5

Under the Skin - PlayStation 2

Don't know what to say really. You're an alien who has crashed on earth and you must take over human bodies to in order to get coins and to not get lynched. There's a Resident Evil 3 level in which you fight Nemesis.

2/5

Aggressive Inline - PlayStation 2

Controls are not as good as the Tony Hawk games, but they feel very similar. Levels are pretty big and decently designed. The soundtrack isn't that good though, consisting mostly of whiny college rock tracks.

3/5

Rolling - PlayStation 2

More inline skating. The soundtrack in this game is even worse. Most tracks are made for the game, which is painfully obvious. Strangely the controls took a few runs to get used to, even though they're very much like Tony Hawk's. Decent levels and nice graphics, the skater looks like a giant though.

3/5

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - PlayStation

One of my favourite games. Never gets old. The challenge for me these days is to get 99.9 in the contests.

5/5

Neo Contra - PlayStation 2

You run and you gun. Hardcore soldiers who run from explosion to explosion, battling forces of evil and the Contra bosses. Did get the bad ending unfortunately.

3/5

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:36 pm
Profile WWW

Gunlord (2012) - Dreamcast

I love this game! The music is fantastic and the gameplay and graphics itself bring back many nostalgic memories from the 90's. It is basically a Turrican clone but done in a good way. :)

4/5

He-man: Defender of Grayskull (2005) - Playstation 2

I paid 49p for this game. I never thought that could be too much for a game. I feel ripped off. What a load of crap!

1/5

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Tony Hawk's Underground 2 - PlayStation 2

The new thing in this one is that you have to find hidden characters on each level that you can change into in order to get new goals. It's a little more Jackass, and a little less skating. Nevertheless it's still an enjoyable Tony Hawk game.

3/5

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - Xbox 360

The controls feel very crippled, probably because it's a PSP port, and the story is forgettable. It's still kind of fun though and there's this strange side thing where you send out captured soldiers to fight in some really basic strategy mode, so that they can develop new weapons and stuff for you to use.

3/5

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD - Xbox 360 (Arcade)

Yet another remake of the first two Tony Hawk games. It only features seven levels, and to my disappointment there are no contests, even though the Marseille level is there. The controls are strange and there are lots of bugs, but there are new goals which are challenging and the best songs from the first two games are there, so it's a pretty good remake.

3/5

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:57 pm
Profile WWW

I picked up a couple cheap racing games, as that genre is my go-to for short bursts of play between exporting/transcoding video.

Both these games can be got for dirt cheap - 10 to 15 bucks, and they're both worth the price:

Split/Second
Made by Disney and Blackrock, this is actually one of the slickest-LOOKING racing games I've played on console. The handling and speed are good and the levels are cool. The premise is that you can trigger explosive environmental events as you go around the track that wreck cars (watch out because you have to dodge them too!) or even change the layout of the track. The gameplay is intense; it's also very compartmentalized in individual events/tracks - you have to beat events to unlock more events plus new cars.
The downside is that there's not very many tracks and a couple of the gameplay modes suck. Most of the modes are good - racing, elimination, time limit.....but one mode I don't like makes you dodge helicopter missiles as you go around the track...it's kinda pointless. Fortunately it's not too hard to place third in those events and move on.

Fuel
This is like Burnout Paradise for off-roaders. But not quite as high-budget and a bit sparse. It is pretty, with lots of sunset skies, grassy fields, and foreboding forest fires. The driving is satisfying and the numerous vehicles have very different feels. It's an open world game that is surprisingly huge. Finishing enough events in one region will allow you to enter other regions. You can either drive to event start-points in the world or use a quick menu to warp to any events. There's a lot of cars to unlock, which can be purchased with fuel points. The points, in the form of fuel barrels can be found all over the land, so there's an exploration element to collecting cars. There's even a very tiny amount of cars you can find and run into to attain. I wish there was more of that, and I wish those cars were faster and challenging to catch.
I like fuel because it's chill. I can get on an offroad bike and cruise through diverse landscapes at my leisure. The game might not be intense or structured enough for some gamers though. Might be too chill.
Perfect for me though....after a while, however, I do get that pointless feeling that chill games sometimes give me, hehe.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:15 am

RENEGADE OPS
This free-for-PS+ game pleasantly surprised me.

I have a fondness the isometric helicopter games Desert Strike, Nuclear Strike, etc on Sega Genesis. Renegade Ops is only briefly a helicopter game. For the most part it's car-that-shoots game.
But it delivers on a familiar nostalgia. The graphics are great. The gameplay mixes isometric driving with a dual-stick shmup. You can choose from 4 vehicles, each with a unique special power. Your main gun can power up for a wider spread. If you play on Normal difficulty or higher, you'll earn upgrade points to assign to defense, offense, or special power perks. The comic book-styled story is cheesy, but adds personality to the game.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:21 am
Site Admin

I enjoyed that game for a bit, and bought it before it was free (damn!) and enjoyed the hell out of it. I remember it getting pretty tough.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:21 am
Profile WWW

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories - PlayStation 2

Doesn't flow as well and isn't as pretty as GTAIII, but it's cool to be back in Liberty City, and to be able to ride motorcycles is a good addition. Story takes place before GTAIII and you get to work for Salvatore Leone, which is fun, and there are lots of other good missions as well with characters from the other games. There are some changes in the city, like a port where you can go by ferry, a motocross track, and a few construction sites. Soundtrack is OK, and it's a really fun game.

4/5

OutRun 2 - Xbox

Good arcade racer. Pretty Ferrari cars and a cool soundtrack.

3/5

Super Hang-On - Xbox 360 (Arcade)

Completed it on "Beginner". Fun, but not much room for mistakes in this game.

3/5

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:23 pm
Profile WWW

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES

I just started this game, and I heard it's like a 105 hour campaign. I've only played a little since I don't have much time. But I can say that it's the ONLY JRPG of this generation I've found worth playing. HOWEVER - considering I'd take Mass Effect 1 & 2, Fallout 3, and Skyrim over this game - really puts a nail in the jrpg coffin for me.

The setting of Xenoblade is very interesting - you live on a giant dead titan, frozen in battle with another dead titan (monsters come from that one). I'm digging the British voice work. The combat system is very active for this type of game. On a technical level it's loading times are much shorter than a PS360 game.
As far as deeper crafting/alchemy and combat - It seems like they threw in every idea from all other games all at once, hehe. But going that deep seems optional - basically you can choose how to get an advantage - grind to level up, craft better gear enhancements, or master use of skills.
The world is very open (while remaining very pretty), and you can choose your pace and direction. You will run into beasts that are way above your level, I guess to come back for later.

If you like JRPG's it's worth playing. If you've been disillusioned by JRPG's, you see one of the best current titles struggles to be as engaging as it's Western competition.

Last edited by micah9 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Max Payne 3 - Xbox 360

Being a big fan of the first game and liking the second one, I was very disappointed with this one. The story was boring and it was really annoying seeing a distortion effect like every five seconds because of Max's heavy drug usage. The controls were okay, but definitely not an improvement over the previous games. This time it's more a cover-shooter than a fun fast-paced Hong Kong-styled action film-game. And speaking of fun, there are barely any good jokes anymore. All the bad guys speak Portugese and are dead serious all the time (not like in 1 & 2 were the bad guys were speaking of movies and how if they were a vampire they would move to the Arctic and stuff, and when they saw you they would go "It's Payne!" and "Whack 'im!" in some crazy Italian-American kind of way.) and Max gives his one-liners every 30 seconds, but there not as good as before. And speaking of every 30 seconds, there's a cutscene every 30 seconds when Max enters a door, and if you have an assault rifle or shotgun as your main weapon, he changes to your pistol or SMG, even if you barely have any rounds left in those weapons. So sometimes you enter a room full of baddies without enough ammo to kill them, and then you have to change to your longer weapon but then you're already dead. There are quite a few weapons in the game, which is nice, and some of them feel a little more powerful than in the second game where they were somewhat like pop guns, but unfortunately you can't hold more than three weapons at a time and you can't use grenades or Molotovs. I haven't tried the multiplayer, but I'm guessing it's not worth the time (or money, stupid Xbox Live Gold membership requirement to play online). I'd say Stranglehold is a better Max Payne 3 than Max Payne 3.

2/5

Tag: The Power of Paint - PC

Somewhat fun first-person puzzle game where you have to paint different colors on the floor and walls in order to get to the goal. Took about 20 minutes to complete. Apparently the team behind the game got hired by Valve to work on Portal 2.

2/5

NiGHTS into Dreams... - Saturn

Started off really confused, but slowly figured out what to do. You fly around like in 2D but it's in 3D, and you collect orbs and stuff which you take to a flying saucer-type thing which explodes and then you collect some more stuff and go for the goal, and you do that like four times per level. And there's four levels in the entire game (actually there's seven if you play with both characters). The levels are quite short, and there's a pretty easy boss at the end of each. You have to get at least a C ranking on the first three levels in order to unlock the last one. It's a pretty colorful and happy game, which according to the story takes place in a dream, and the music is kind of cool, but it gets old pretty fast.

2/5

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:56 pm
Profile WWW

Spec Ops: The Line

I rented and blazed through this while filming some war scenes for Mario Warfare - in case there was any inspiration to glean. I heard the game had an ambitious goal with mixed results. It wants to be Apocalypse Now: The Game.

Pros:
*Really neat/pretty setting. Dubai is covered in sand after a disastrous sandstorm. The new ground level is several stories high. Sand has broken through windows and flooded into buildings. Your a Delta operator going in to find a missing army brigade that went in to rescue survivors of the storm.
*Voice acting featuring Nolan North. Interesting change in tone and word choice as story gets darker.

Cons:
*The gameplay is bland third-person shooter. The cover system left me accidentally standing frequently and sometimes dying.

Mixed:
*The game gets you confused on what has happened in Dubai (that's the good part). Were the US Soldiers you're looking for attacked by insurgents? Did the US soldiers use excessive force in trying to create order post-storm and start a conflict with the locals? Is there a rogue madman leading the brigade, or a CIA plot against them? As you search through the sand-covered city, your hunch of what happened continues to evolve, as you question who's side you're on.
Despite that, it ends in a way I kinda hate - (BIT OF SPOILERS). It's more of an abstract trippy "am I mad" ending?
*The game does better than most to make a killing spree actually feel uncomfortable. One one hand, the game offers a few nice moments for your choices to come back and bite you on the ass. One the other hand, it also forces your (supposed) "choices" a couple times in order to progress the storyline.

Verdict: Good to rent for the interesting but mixed-results storytelling.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:41 pm
Site Admin

Outland - 4/5

Damn good combination of Flashback and Ikaruga. Feels a little tedious and half-witted at times with uninteresting level design and lack of anything intelligent, but the few bosses I've encountered are encouraging. Plus I hear the game's long and gets really difficult.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:42 pm
Profile WWW

Deadlight - 3/5

Interesting zombie survival platformer influenced by The Road, The Mist and The Walking Dead. Great art direction and occasionally inspired level design can't make up for terrible voice acting and cumbersome controls which don't do what they're supposed to at critical moments of gameplay. I enjoyed it but its hard to reccommend at the price - 1200 ms points is a bit steep for such a slight game.

Darksiders2

I started Darksiders 2 and am amazed at how plagiaristic it is - the first was bad for stealing systems and ideas but this one is shameless. I spotted riffs on levels and design elements from God Of War, Prince of Persia 2008, Zelda, Sphinx and the cursed mummy, Diablo, Lara Croft and the guardian of light and Devil May Cry. Still, it mixes them all together pretty well and has an admirable focus on puzzle solving - there seems to be hundreds of mini-dundgeon side-quests

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:02 am

Jet Set Radio - Dreamcast

An inline game where you do battle against other gangs by spraying graffiti on walls and sometimes on the gang members themselves. Nice cel-shaded graphics, and some decent music. The controls aren't that good though.

3/5

XIII - Xbox

More cel-shaded graphics in this pretty cool FPS. One of the voices is done by Adam West, which always makes me think of Batman and Family Guy. Pretty good level design for a console FPS.

3/5

Alan Wake - Xbox 360

I had some hopes for this becuse it's the game Remedy did instead of doing Max Payne 3, but I was pretty disappointed (the door sounds are the same as in MP thoug :-D). It's very cliché and kind of repetitive, although there were some things that were pretty fun and exciting. After playing The Suffering a week later I can see that Remedy borrowed some stuff from that.

2/5

Darkwatch - PlayStation 2

Very dark FPS that's very repetitive and the level design is pretty boring. Had some fun shooting my way through it though.

2/5

The Suffering - PlayStation 2

You're a guy who gets sent to prison for killing your family, and of course all hell breaks loose. The monsters you encounter are very similar to those from the Silent Hill games, and when you fill a certain meter you can transform into a monster yourself. It's kind of exciting, but also very cliché with your wife popping up like a floating head and talking to you, like in Darkwatch and Alan Wake and Halo and Bioshock and every fucking game since the turn of the century.

2/5

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next