It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:33 pm

History of point-n-click adventure games 

Post History of point-n-click adventure games

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Post Re: History of point-n-click adventure games
I've never actually completed a point-n-click adventure on my own, but I've watched my brother play through a dozen or so. Gabriel Knight 1 & 2, Broken Sword 1 & 2, Beneath a Steel Sky, and Jack Orlando were very exciting to watch. Under a Killing Moon, Phantasmagoria, Prisoner of Ice, and Full Throttle were decent enough. I don't find the Discworld, Leisure Suit Larry, Maniac Mansion, and Monkey Island games that interesting though.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:22 pm
Profile WWW

Were you playing them in English? I wonder if the humour doesn't translate well across language/culture, because the ones you like are more serious story-driven games.

Funnily enough, of the ones you listed my tastes would run exactly opposite :-D

I loved all of the Lucas adventure games, Zak Mckracken and the Alien Mindbenders a favourite. Never really liked any of the Sierra games, they were too obtuse and punishing.

I'm currently playing through the Deponia games. They're pretty good, though a bit buggy and not as well written as some of the classics. The second one is quite a bit better than the first.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:43 am

Yep, always in English. I guess I like the more serious games more, even though there is quite a bit of humour in them as well. :-)

I remember Sierra's Robin Hood game Conquests of the Longbow was a bit cruel. If you failed to save Marion you could still continue playing, not knowing that you couldn't complete the game anymore. Maybe overwriting your save files, and ultimately meeting your doom at the hands of a blacksmith with a hammer.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:29 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Prisoner of Ice was amazing, I played through that one again recently. Robin Hood was torture, as were the Quest for Glory games. RPG point-n-clicks with money and an ACTUAL CLOCK in the game?! Sierra should be fined for child abuse. Not that we didn't come back the next day...

Sierra games worth noting are the games from the Dynamix branch, namely Willy Beamish and Rise of the Dragon. Willy was grueling, but Rise of the Dragon was pretty forgiving and had arguably the best art design of any of the Sierra games. Lucas Arts is remembered for Monkey Island and Indy, but my favorites were Full Throttle and The Dig.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:59 pm
Profile WWW