It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:40 am

Craigslist gigs 

Post Craigslist gigs
So as I mentioned in the 2011 thread I'm trying to find some new clients for this year. Part of that is checking the various related Craigslist gigs categories - crew, event, creative - each day. I've begun to notice that many of the ads use 'code words' that don't necessarily mean what you might think they mean. As a public service I've decided to compile a list of these 'code words' with the appropriate translations so that you'll know what to expect if you ever pursue any of these... 'opportunities':

"Internship" - little or no pay
"Small job" - little or no pay
"Ultra-low budget" - little or no pay
"Low budget" - little or no pay
"We have a budget, but" - little or no pay
"Groundbreaking" - little or no pay
"Great experience" - little or no pay
"Make a difference" - little or no pay
"Exciting opportunity" - little or no pay
"You'll get credit" - little or no pay
"Enhance your demo reel" - little or no pay
"Be part of something big" - little or no pay
"Collabrative spirit" - little or no pay
"Looking to partner up" - little or no pay
"Compensation is negotiable" - little or no pay
"Huge upside" - little or no pay
"Encourage students to apply" - little or no pay
"Will be submitted to film festivals" - little or no pay
"Should only take an hour" - little or no pay (will probably take several hours)
"Easy if you know what you're doing" - little or no pay (I have no idea how difficult what I'm asking is)
"Need help turning an amazing idea into reality" - little or no pay (can you do the hard part for me?)
"May turn into future work for the right person" - little or no pay (you'll never hear from us again)
"Ideal candidate has their own HD camera and lights" - little or no pay (can we borrow your gear?)
"I'm willing to pay $10 an hour. Must be experienced." - I consider your skills, years of experience, and investment in equipment to be worth approximately 10% less than the starting wage at In-n-Out.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:27 pm

Post Re: Craigslist gigs
"Should only take an hour" - Book off your weekend.

Do you use Mandy.com? It's pretty much full of the same, but when I turn to find local talent for pay that I can use on set? I contact people on that site. So there might be other guys like me out there. Somewhere. :)

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:03 am
Site Admin

You should make a Firefox plug-in that automatically translates that stuff

Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:01 pm
Profile WWW

@Blink: I've checked out Mandy but they don't seem to have many listings in the norcal area. I've mostly used their production company directory to get a feel for companies to contact directly... I probably should list myself in the directory though.

Craigslist just seems to have the steadiest stream of 'gigs' though - i.e. project work. I'm not looking for a job, so most of the listings on other sites don't really fit. The sheer volume of listings means there are legit ones that come up regularly once you filter out all the other crap.

And don't get me wrong - I'm glad to work for free on someone's personal project when I have the time. The thing is if it's not someone I know I'd need to see some really good previous work to convince me it's not going to be a waste of time - and none of these ads ever seem to include things like that. I see a lot of ads where people are planning a shoot in a couple weeks and basically casting about for an entire crew with equipment all for no pay - I can't even comprehend going about a production in that way, and I can't imagine how those projects turn out.

But that's just the ones that are clearly personal or truly independent projects - I really hope them the best but it's not really what I'm looking for. What really gets me are the ones that are businesses looking for commercials or promotional/training materials and wanting to pay $100 per video or something. One ad I saw today was looking for a second shooter with an EX3 or EX1 (to match their existing EX3) and support equipment offering $150 for the day. Now the EX3 is an $8,000 camera, and typically will rent for $400-500 per day, the EX1 might rent as low as $250/day - but neither would include support equipment or, say, a skilled operator at that price. If it was some random company asking for this I'd chalk it up to their being clueless about video, but it's not - it's someone who has already bought that camera and knows exactly what it should cost to get one, and who clearly charges for their own time and should know what it's worth. I don't know, maybe the market is just bad enough right now that people are jumping on projects like that. I certainly hope not. Oh well, that's enough ranting about this for now...

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:33 am