It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:16 am

"Your credit card has been blocked..." 

Post "Your credit card has been blocked..."
I ordered some expensive stuff from two very reliable websites the other day, and payed via credit card. So, today I got a call from my bank saying that my credit card had been blocked, because of "suspect transactions" and that I might "be a victim of fraud". I told them it was me who had made the payments and that there was nothing suspect about those websites. They said "well, we blocked your card anyway, just to be safe. Would you like us to send you a new one, or do you want to order one yourself?" I said "well, just send me a new one then", and that's that.

Luckily the stuff I ordered is on its way like normal, it's just that I can't use my credit card until I get a new one. Next time I'll make sure to get an invoice with the delivery and pay that way. Why I haven't done that before is probably because I'm only 19 and I usually only order DVD's and video games, i.e. cheap stuff.

I read a little about credit cards, and apparently they block them based on how much the person who uses it normally spends and where he uses it, and in what amount of time. And if you're going abroad, don't forget to notify your credit card company!

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/7-reasons-credit-card-blocked-tips-for-handling-1282.php

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:38 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: "Your credit card has been blocked..."
What brand was it? Typically I get called when this happens and I'm not out of my country.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:13 am
Site Admin

They've been hit or miss with me. Had a debit card blocked once for buying outside the country, then I'll do it with a credit card and they'll call me about it and then send me a letter. Can you get a separate credit card from a different provider? That way next time it happens you have a backup.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:44 am
Profile WWW

My bank card wont run as credit anymore, which really sucks because i pay all my bills online. Also I dont keep alot of cash on me so if I go somewhere like take my girlfriend out to eat I have to go by an atm beforehand. I've replaced the card twice already, the first time they told me that it was that magnetic strip. Now they're giving me the runaround when I try to find out why it keeps declining. I'm almost ready to close my account and tell them to shove the card up their ass.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:32 pm
Profile WWW

dariosusman wrote:
What brand was it?

It was a Visa.

stuntpeople wrote:
Can you get a separate credit card from a different provider?

Probably, but it'll cost extra.

Swift Sword: Sorry to hear about that. I personally don't like to keep a lot of cash on me. My card had a chip so I almost never had to use the magnetic strip, but if that wasn't the problem it must've been them who effed something up.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:17 am
Profile WWW

Strange. I have a Visa as well. Must have something to do with the bank's procedures. :\

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:46 pm
Site Admin

It's very rarely anything to do with the logo network. Visa and MC are just technology that banks/creditors use to issue the cards, so it's most definitely the bank/creditor.

Quote:
Probably, but it'll cost extra.

They don't have other free credit cards there? Bummer.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:23 am
Profile WWW

I try to use cash as much as possible just because paying with a debit/credit card can be such a pain in the ass.
I got my first credit card through my parents. Mine had my name on it but was under their account. Well some jackass swiped are card number and tried to use it. Our credit company caught on and cancelled the card but I didn't find out before trying to use mine. Luckily my debit still worked but that was nerve wracking.

But anyway, yeah, credit cards can be a bitch.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:15 am