It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:46 am

I hate people 

Post I hate people
That is it, really. I just hate people. I have so much hostility towards the world the last few hours, days, weeks, months, years, etc. It's like it's building to a breaking point and I'm just going to spontaneously combust. All I can hold out hope for is that when I do, there is a camera rolling and pointed towards me.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:11 am

Post Re: I hate people
And for the record, just because I don't pick fights with everyone who inconveniences me, doesn't mean I'm a coward. It just means I believe most things can be solved without anger.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:11 am

Care to elaborate?

Otherwise I'll assume this happened...

You're 25 super model girlfriends each found out you were cheating on them with the other 24. They all broke up with you and you only managed to get phone numbers from another 15 super models today. On your way to work you were attacked by a tiger who you punched right in the nut sack. This inconvenienced you because fuck tigers. Also, it left a scratch on your ring, which is actually a single diamond carved into the shape of a ring (by using another diamond). To top things off on this shitty day, the zombie of Bruce Lee came to your house and got all up in your face but you were all like "No way Bruce, I don't want to fight. I already fucked up a tiger's whole family plans today, let's just chill!" Bruce then called you a coward for not wanting to fight. After informing him that you believe problems can be solved without anger you took a flamethrower to his zombie ass. He exploded and was actually made of jelly beans which rained all around your house... but you hate jelly beans so that was shit.

I'm close, right?

Man On A Mission Films...
http://www.youtube.com/masterrocking

Check out our newest film...

Scarfoot 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShrhPuDmXU0

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:32 am
Profile WWW

You're closer than you think.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:20 pm

dpanthyr wrote:
And for the record, just because I don't pick fights with everyone who inconveniences me, doesn't mean I'm a coward. It just means I believe most things can be solved without anger.

If a situation isn't worth the time or trouble of confrontation, you absolutely should just walk away - that's not cowardice, it's simply reason. There are very few things in this world that you have direct control over, and your own reaction to other people and situations is one of them. But if you continue to carry anger with you after you're out of every negative situation then you're giving up that control.

Time to be honest - are you really solving things without anger, or are you just avoiding solving them to avoid confrontation? If you are truly solving problems but still carrying anger you have to accept that that's all you, and your anger is basically self-indulgence. It'll go away whenever you decide you are ready to let it go. More likely is that you aren't really solving anything, just avoiding it - which means whatever made you angry in the first place is still there and is just going to keep making you angry until you deal with it. You can only do that for so long. Some things are worth the time and trouble of confrontation.

If what's making you angry is just 'other people' in general, well, we're back to things you have control over and things you don't. You don't have direct control over other people, but you do have control over your reaction to them. You have to figure out a way to differentiate between situations you can change - either by directly changing the situation or removing yourself from it - and those you can't. When you truly can't change a situation then anger just makes it worse, and you're better off letting go - but when you can change it anger should be a catalyst for making that change. It's the difference between being cut off by another driver - just let it go - and having a co-worker take credit for your work - do something about it before it happens again. Neither situation is improved by just sitting there and being angry.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:27 pm

You can't always help being angry, though. It's a natural emotional response, not one we choose to have or perpetuate, or else no one would ever be angry. Ironically, anger falls under the category of things you can't control, at least not entirely. I think as long dpanthyr is removing himself from a situation, whatever that may be, where anger or rash behavior could potentially exacerbate negative repercussions he's doing the right thing. The only crime would be employing avoidance to the extent that it inconveniences or damages you further if you have the option of doing something to gain a measure of control over the situation. Divergent is right about one point, at least: you don't want to carry that burden forever. If something makes you angry then acknowledge it, try to understand why and get to the root of the problem that way, then pull its vexatious ass up and move on.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:29 am

dpanthyr wrote:
You're closer than you think.

Please let it be known that my post was an attempt to cheer you up and not to make light of the situation.

Having dealt with fairly severe anger issues in my life I agree that anger is not an emotion we can control. We can only choose how to deal with it. You cannot choose to not be angry. I would say that if you were in a situation where it was either violence or retreat (and I don't mean 'running away' but simply leaving the situation because you know it's the smart/better thing to do) then you've done nothing wrong.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:49 am
Profile WWW

DFX wrote:
You can't always help being angry, though. It's a natural emotional response, not one we choose to have or perpetuate, or else no one would ever be angry.

Definitely, I didn't mean to say that anger is something you can control by eliminating it - things are going to happen to piss you off all the time. It's just where you go from there that matters. Some people can't walk away, and they let anger drive them to escalate a situation. Some people can walk away but then harbor their anger long after the situation has passed. The challenge is learning to walk away, and then let it go when the anger is no longer relevant - as well as learning when not to walk away but act without letting your anger get the best of you. For me the starting point has always been focusing on what I can control and what I can't.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:16 am

Basically the situation that spawned this was when I was out in town and the person I was with picked a fight that I thought was unnecessary. When I didn't step in to help them, even though it was just a yelling match and nothing physical, I was called a coward. Literally nothing I could have said would have even slightly altered the situation, so I chose to remain silent.
The "problem" was that they had parked too close to the driver's side of the vehicle I was a passenger in and the person I was with decided it was a good idea to cuss the other person out, even though they were leaving that very moment.

As for people in general being the source of my general anger, it's mostly "stupid" people. I use quotation marks because it is what I deem stupid, which is not actually very often equated to lack of intelligence. It's more that they are being stupid in that moment. Most of us are all guilty of doing this every now and then, but it is a situation that 9 times out of 10 can be avoided simply by thinking a little and not just jumping at the opportunity to start something that's really not worth it in the first place.

Rob- I understand that you were cheering me up. Thank you. At the time, basically nothing was funny. I'm just tired of dealing with everyone else's bullshit all the time and lately, it seems like people have truckloads of it. I am a fairly calm and easy-going kind of a person, so it usually takes a lot to get to me. I've discovered that the closer it is to the previous shitstorm, the less tolerance I have for it. I'm sure there is a mathematical equation that could illustrate it, but I don't really like math, so I'm not even going to attempt it.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:04 am
Site Admin

Dude good thing you didn't step in. I might have lost a good friend. Think of the other 6 billion people in the world who enjoy having you alive :(

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:44 am
Profile WWW

dpanthyr wrote:
I've discovered that the closer it is to the previous shitstorm, the less tolerance I have for it. I'm sure there is a mathematical equation that could illustrate it, but I don't really like math, so I'm not even going to attempt it.

Okay, if we take "A" as your propensity towards anger as a function of "S" a weekly (or perhaps daily) average of the frequency and severity of "shit storms." We'd need to make a separate equation for "S" as a function of "s" the rating of the shit storm. We would need a rating system for the shit storms. I would suggest a rating between 1 (barely a shit storm) and 10 (the worst possible shit storm imaginable). Why I have omitted zero and made 1 the lowest value will be clear soon. For now it should be obvious that I'm leaving out zero at least because you don't need to count non-events. Then...

S(s) = Σ(s)/n

(So, S(s) should be always be a value between 1 and 10. If nothing happened you can't divide by zero so the function is undefined)

...where we take the sum of all the recent shit storm rating for the time frame we have deemed appropriate and divide by the number of shit storms to get our average rating.

Hmmmmm, actually, I don't like this since it implies that if in one day you experienced say three S-ratings of 8 (car crash, break up, fist fight) and then experience an S-rating of 1 (stubbed toe) then it decreases your average... which it really wouldn't...
Actually, I think S(s) would work more like a sequence in which we continually add previous terms where by each additional S-rating is multiplied by a factor produced by the sum of all the previous S-ratings... since after three 8s a 1 would probably send you on a murderous rampage. But since this is getting complicated I'll think about that one and leave my current function S(s) as it is just for now.

Now, since we have our function S(s) I would now say that anger has no upper limit. I think you can always get more angry. I you think you can't, imagine the worst possible situation ever... now imagine a piano gets dropped on you. Bam! You're angrier. I do however think that it will be harder and harder to get much angrier. You'll probably get very angry and then only get a little more angry at a time. So I propose the following function...

A(H) = c Log [S(s)]

...where Log is the Logarithm to base-10 and "c" is the universal anger constant... or perhaps since people are unique we'd need an individual constant for each person. In your case I would just call it "c" with your initials as a subscript (which I can't type here). The way I've designed the function is that most people's constants should be around 1... if you're not very inclined towards anger it'll be just under 1... say, 0.9, 0.8... if you're the Dalai Lama maybe it's 0.1. If you get angry easily then it's over 1... say 1.1, 1.2 or if your Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction you could even be a 2... I'M ONE MUSHROOM CLOUD LAYING MOTHER FUCKER, MOTHER FUCKER!!!

[NOTE: I said I think anger has no upper limit. These scales are just a frame work that can be broken or expanded. The Richter Scale can break 10, it just won't very often!]

Log[S(s)] (assuming S(s) always gives a value between 1 and 10 or is undefined) will always give values between 0 and 1. Then that's multiplied by the anger constant "c" and using similar scale as I used above, there's your Propensity Towards Anger. In the odd case that S(s) is undefined (nothing bothered you this week) then A(H) is undefined... this is fine since there's no need to measure your A(H) if there is no S(s).

A(H) at 0 means things are alright and although you can get angry, you won't get extra angry because of previous events. A(H) at 1 (multiplied by your constant) means you will murder the whole Earth. The thing to remember is that it's a Logarithmic scale. Going from 1 to 2 takes less shit storms than going from 2 to 3 which takes less shit storms than going from 3 to 4 and so on. To go from 9 to 10 you must already be in total berserk mode and then your worst enemy accidentally slips onto a button which causes the apocalypse... or something.

It's not perfect but it's a start.

I don't really know why I did this... I got bored. Enjoy. Also, I'm tired now so I'm not going to bother to check for mistakes.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:28 am
Profile WWW

Thank you for the maths.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:41 am

I hate math. Makes me want to punch someone in the face.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Yeah, I was about to say that myself. Don't make me dislike you, Rob.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Well, I'm a mathematician with majors in both Pure and Applied Mathematics... so I guess we're enemies now.

Enough thread-jacking. Back to ANGER!!!

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:51 am
Profile WWW