It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:17 am

So Incredibly Frustrated 

Post So Incredibly Frustrated
With school. I've arrived at a point in my pursuit of education where I'm finally starting to realize that none of this shit I'm learning really means anything or has a direct impact on how I relate to my life. Most of it is just useless conjecture and confusing overanalysis, but I'm expected to embrace it like it's the one and only indisputable truth of the universe. So much of university academics is just a big fucking joke and they don't even realize that they're the punchline. I spend close to 60% of my time awake these days reading texts from which I don't receive any benefit, any profound insights or meaning or even an idea of how it might expedite my understanding of my own interests. The rest I spend at work. I've lost all semblance of a social life, I only get to see my girlfriend of three years about twice a week and I don't remember the last time I got to just sit down and enjoy some leisure for longer than about twenty fucking minutes in between readings. It's just a really shitty feeling to throw away the majority of your time on something that isn't even going to matter when you graduate. And the most tragic thing of all is that I love learning and I've always enjoyed reading and independent study, but now I can't even look at a book without feeling nauseous or post on an internet forum without constantly rereading to make sure my grammar is correct. I just wanna be a person again. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:47 pm

Post Re: So Incredibly Frustrated
Tell me, what do you study?

Academics are too often blinded by a sense that what they have learnt is the be-all-and-end-all to life. That to question their beliefs and knowledge is wrong. I hated university for much the same reason.

In a nutshell, I think the problem boils down to the fact that many people no longer understand what it means to have "learned" something.

Man On A Mission Films...
http://www.youtube.com/masterrocking

Check out our newest film...

Scarfoot 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShrhPuDmXU0

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:45 pm
Profile WWW

You should do what all the other people do when they learn too much shit that won't help them now, or in the future..... try out for Jeopardy. ;)

Facebook: Ja-Mel Booth.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:41 pm
Profile WWW

To answer your question, Rob, I study English. Lots of literature and writing classes, not necessarily because I'm so in love with classic authors or works but because I enjoy language, reading and textual communication and I would like to write in some capacity down the line. The problem lies in the fact that so much of what is assigned and prescribed by conventional education seems so arbitrary, I can't find any way of reconciling the knowledge I'm gaining with the sense of purpose that college is supposed to provide or at least illumine. Even when I'm enjoying it I don't feel like it's especially useful, and it's not skill and information that I couldn't attain through independent study on my own time. Feeling like you're wasting ridiculous amounts of time and money for a meaningless title or honor is just really confounding and discouraging at times. I'm learning to take it all in stride and put it in perspective (because, realistically, how many people ever really know beyond all doubt what they want to spend their lives doing or feel like they'll put to use everything they learn in school?), but this is a period in my life when I feel like I should be exploring and enjoying my own interests, creativity and relationships before I take on more unfortunate responsibilities that prevent me from doing so. And if I have to spend it studying I want to at least get something out of it.

Thanks for the tip, Ja-Mel. I actually am a pretty savage Jeopardy competitor. Maybe I'll become a crazed, dubious wandering savant intellectual and spread my philosophy of disaffection and woe to the world.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:43 am

I'm simillar. I love to learn new things(I want to be smart) but school can be a major pain in the ass. There's been classes that the idea behind them is great and serves a purpose to your major but some of the stuff they have you do just seems pointless buisy-work(I'm looking at you Color Fundamentals). But if it gets me out of the basement level jobs I'm all for finishing school. Hang in there bro.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:07 pm

The thing that sucks about college is it's hard to know what will and won't be useful later on. There's stuff I studied that I thought was important at the time, but never found much application for - and on the flip side there's stuff I wish I'd paid more attention to back when it seemed a waste of time. I definitely learned more useful stuff outside of class than in, but part of that was being in the school environment. And the crazy thing for me is that I studied film production, but 4 months before graduation added modern lit as a second degree and stayed on an additional year. Not because I had any interest in a career related to it, but because I discovered at the last minute that modern lit theory was far more applicable to filmmaking than most of what I'd studied in any film class. I wish I'd known that sooner, but at the same time might have never discovered it if I hadn't been there in the first place...

Talk about useless curriculum - I was shooting film and editing on a flatbed in class, while teaching myself non-linear editing, VFX and 3D animation in my dorm room. In the long run though learning to teach myself new tech/software/etc quickly was probably the most important skill I developed while at college - but it's entirely possible I would have been just as successful learning that on the job.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:04 am

Thanks for the perspective, guys. As thinkers and creators, I know we can all relate to the notion of having these interests and projects that we'd like to pursue but not having the time or ability to do so due to other responsibilities and commitments that don't always seem as productive or rewarding. That's how I feel with school right now. As much as I stand to learn from the classes I'm taking, I think it's very possible that I could be learning a much wider variety of knowledge at a much more rapid rate if I were to be able to take more time to study independently and spend my time on less scholastic endeavors. I'm sure that what I'm learning now will translate to knowledge that I can apply to whatever trade I end up engaged in later in life, and I'm confident that I'm probably also learning a good deal about what isn't so important to focus on and how my time can be better spent. Sometimes you just feel like you're in over your head and it's moments like those that I just want to throw everything out and start over with something simpler.

And Div, I'm interested to know how you found your modern lit courses useful in relation to filmmaking... was it just learning certain storytelling techniques to make your film narratives stronger?

Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:41 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
Talk about useless curriculum - I was shooting film and editing on a flatbed in class, while teaching myself non-linear editing, VFX and 3D animation in my dorm room. In the long run though learning to teach myself new tech/software/etc quickly was probably the most important skill I developed while at college - but it's entirely possible I would have been just as successful learning that on the job.

I had similar experiences. I've also had great jobs that probably would have turned a blind eye to me if I didn't have a BA under my belt.

That said, the best time of my life was making a film and basically living out of a van. No school would teach that as a good idea.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:20 pm
Profile WWW

DFX wrote:
And Div, I'm interested to know how you found your modern lit courses useful in relation to filmmaking... was it just learning certain storytelling techniques to make your film narratives stronger?

That was definitely part of it, but probably a bigger part was gaining a better understanding of films and storytelling within the context of the audience. Most of the traditional film theory I studied focused on film primarily as an art form - discussing it in reference mostly to other films, film history, and the evolution of filmmaking technique. This meant we also focused quite a bit on 'art films', and popular films were pretty much ignored or dismissed. Even when we talked about things like the impact of editing techniques on the audience it was usually focused on how a generic, individual audience member was affected psychologically.

In most of my modern lit classes the focus was different. While they were 'lit' classes, most of them covered quite a bit of television & film as well, sometimes comparing adaptations with the original books, other times just looking at films as part of the same genre we were studying in that particular class. A big part of the discussion was how the film or show fit into the culture at the time, looking at it as a reflection of the audience rather than independent of it. From that perspective popular films are equally valuable - in many respects, more so - as a subject of theoretical study, and to me it also made the theory more relevant to the kind of films I was interested in making.

I think I came out of it with more of a sense that whatever step you're at in the filmmaking process - writing, shooting, editing, etc - you need to be thinking in terms of the audience as an active part of the process. It also got me away from the film-centric 'auteur' kind of theory where the most important thing is the director's intent; understanding that regardless of that intent the audience may perceive something entirely different, and that their perception isn't wrong just because it differs from what the director intended. It brings film theory more in line with that of language, in which meaning is not inherent to words but emerges in the context of their shared use by both writers/speakers and readers/listeners.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:07 am