It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 am

I fail 
Site Admin

Post I fail
I work in a building with about 200 companies in it. I park in the parking lot among maybe 500 other cars.

My boss and I were about to use it to get coffee for a late-afternoon meeting. We got into the van, and I noticed four long boxes of curtain rods and a bunch of bags from the hardware store in the back. I said out loud, "Those are not mine. And I have no idea where they came from."

My boss asks me, "Is this your van?" I look on the floor and see the bag of pumpkin seeds and my broken bobble-head Jesus. "Yeah, this is my van, but those aren't my things in the back." "Why would they be in here?" he asks. "More importantly," I add, "how did someone get in and put them in here?" (I was less concerned with the weirdness of the situation and more worried about the security of my van.)

All the doors are locked, but I can recall times when the sliding door doesn't lock automatically the way it should. So someone must have gotten in that way. Security question answered. Now, why?

The only plausible explanation was that someone had mistaken my van for theirs, since my Dodge Caravan is probably the best-selling van of all time. We look around. There's another Caravan nearby, and it's silver, so it looks similar enough. He's probably old or has bad eyesight, and he must've mistaken mine for his, opened the unlocked door, and put his stuff into my car.

So we decided we'd have the front desk page whoever bought the curtain rods when we got back from coffee. I wanted to meet the guy and figure out exactly how he got into my van, first and foremost, to see if I was right. Then it donned on me that my coworker had carpooled with me that morning, and on the trip he talked about buying stuff from Lowe's Hardware. He borrowed my keys in the morning to go do something, and apparently he had gone to the hardware store. Duh. It would've been pretty embarrassing to page my coworker and have him come downstairs, having been accused by the front desk of putting his stuff in the wrong van.

I fail at Occam's Razor, which basically means when trying to develop a hypothesis, tend toward the simplest explanation. Don't entertain conspiracy theories unless they're necessary, Eric.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:46 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: I fail
Meh. Emotion clouds judgment and believing that your personal space was violated unintentionally or not, can mess you up and make you not think straight. Happens to me all the damn time. Especially now that I'm getting older. Damn it.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:54 am

Um. Are you telling me that you forgot that you carpooled and loaded stuff for your coworker and just forgot?
I'd go Occam's Razon, but House style :P

Well, if it makes you feel better, I bought lunch today. Boiled veggies with some meat and a fruit cocktail. So I went back to my box to continue with the training I was on and have my lunch there as it was a web & phone conference.
Later on (two hours later, that is) I crave for something sweet, but didn't want candies or chocolate. I wanted a fruit cocktail. Then I realized that I forgot the fruit cocktail in the cafeteria........... I still have no idea where my mind wondered....

Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:05 am

This should be the beginning of an awesome feature film. : )

http://jetteamproduction.blogspot.com/

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:06 pm
Site Admin

I did that once. I saw a car with its trunk open in my work's parking lot and didn't pay much attention. Ten minutes later I saw it with the trunk still open, and I saw a bunch of documents getting soaked, so I closed the trunk for him. Then I went to my office and started wondering,

"This guy's gonna think it's weird that he's got a trunk full of wet documents. He might mistakenly think he's got a leaky trunk and waste his time & money going to the mechanic to fix it. I'll leave him a note explaining."

So I went back with a note but his car was gone. I started wondering how crazy it would be if he were a hitman, and those documents were his "hits". He knows now that someone's looked at them... and that someone... now has to run for his life.

I tried writing a script around this for a few months and it totally didn't work :lol:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:05 pm
Profile WWW

That is funny. Script "Mr. McGoo" :P

Just kidding.... :twisted:

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:06 pm

stuntpeople wrote:
I started wondering how crazy it would be if he were a hitman, and those documents were his "hits". He knows now that someone's looked at them... and that someone... now has to run for his life.

I tried writing a script around this for a few months and it totally didn't work :lol:

It sounds actually awesome! ;)

http://jetteamproduction.blogspot.com/

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:45 pm

Wow Eric. lol.

The one time I left a van door unlocked in Gboro, I found my glove compartment open and the papers in it scattered everywhere. I have expensive tools and jackets that were left in van untouched.

The only thing I could think of is something personal. I made two enemies in that town by getting between them and girls they wanted to beat on. OR someone stealing my info for their own weird purposes. It really didn't seem like anything was missing. It was just a big mystery.

For about a week. Then I went to a fastfood drive thru and went to get some change. My change drawer had been cleaned out...of about 76 cents. Oh right, crackheads. Thank god it was crackheads.

Last edited by micah9 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:09 pm

stuntpeople wrote:
I did that once. I saw a car with its trunk open in my work's parking lot and didn't pay much attention. Ten minutes later I saw it with the trunk still open, and I saw a bunch of documents getting soaked, so I closed the trunk for him. Then I went to my office and started wondering,

"This guy's gonna think it's weird that he's got a trunk full of wet documents. He might mistakenly think he's got a leaky trunk and waste his time & money going to the mechanic to fix it. I'll leave him a note explaining."

So I went back with a note but his car was gone. I started wondering how crazy it would be if he were a hitman, and those documents were his "hits". He knows now that someone's looked at them... and that someone... now has to run for his life.

Not bad. :D

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:10 pm