It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:42 pm

Best forms of martial arts for movies 

Post Best forms of martial arts for movies
Hi,
what do you think are the best combinations of martial arts that look good in movies? ex. karate/judo or kickboxing/jiujitsu ???

Thu May 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Post Re: Best forms of martial arts for movies
I would say Kickboxing/Wing Chun or Kickboxing/Hapkido, but Karate รก la Sonny Chiba can also look good and I like me some grappling sometimes, like in Flash Point.

Thu May 24, 2012 12:19 pm
Profile WWW

I honestly don't think there is a best martial art for movies. You just need to work out the best way to present it on film, and thinking that there is just leads to overly generic movies (e.g. TKD kicks in every film).

If you'd asked me a few years ago whether I thought Silat would be good in a movie I would have said no, but Merantau and The Raid proved me wrong. Any style can look exciting with the right presentation.

Fri May 25, 2012 2:21 am

I was wondering because sometimes i feel people favor the taekwondo/kickboxing combo and i wanted to know which other combos people in here like to work with.

Mon May 28, 2012 3:37 pm

I think it really depends on the situation. But it's easy to pull out the "depends on the situation" card.

If you're doing a movie about a spy, people tend to want to see that Jason Bourne type stuff, with emphasis on presentation and the feel. That doesn't mean they don't like smart choreography. If the spy is also a martial artist, you can mix it with more movements that people tend to categorize as "martial arts." Like if it's a story about cagefighting, then people are expecting to see MMA style movements. But there are exceptions to the rules and that's what I thrive on. You can always give the audience what they didn't know they wanted to see.

I guess if you speak in generalities, wushu and kung fu looks very nice on camera. It just flows and people know these guys are martial artists going at it.

I think if it's good choreography, people will appreciate it regardless. But if it works with the story and who that character is, it would make them love it even more.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:12 pm

wushu, taekwondo, boxing

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:11 pm
Site Admin

I argue Hapkido and Peking Opera combined is the best, obviously. Those two made Jackie and Sammo.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:02 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
Hi,
what do you think are the best combinations of martial arts that look good in movies? ex. karate/judo or kickboxing/jiujitsu ???

As long as it follows the technicality, physicality, and purpose of a fight scene, then style wouldn't really matter. That way, there's always room for creativity. :)

Irvin and I were always a Hapkido-Tae Kwon Do duo, however, it's always nice to go out of our comfort zone once in a while. Which is why test fights are amazing.

Quote:
I argue Hapkido and Peking Opera combined is the best, obviously. Those two made Jackie and Sammo.

Haha that is amazing Eric!

http://www.vimeo.com/ericnguyen
http://www.facebook.com/lunarstunts

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:42 pm
Profile WWW

I remember back in the early 90's martial arts movies when all drug dealers knew karate..LOL, so out of place.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:51 pm

Yeah, that got me thinking about "The Karate Kid Part 3" with the bad guy being involed in plutonium deals and shit. Not very appropriate, not a very good film.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:13 am
Profile WWW

Yes, but my question lays more in the fact that movies tend to favor the flashier martial arts systems than the practical ones, yet ive seen movies with practical moves made look awesome, which is what I would like to do. At the present I do Karate as my core system and i've done other things that i can use to spice the moves like Taekwondo Kicks. I would like to put Grappling but i can't find the time to enroll in a BJJ school to learn it.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:20 am